XLV

It didn't take long for Tigreal, Fanny, and Alucard to find them. They brought soldiers with them to collect the injured bandits and Fanny helped Granger and Guinevere up the cliff with her gears.
They then rushed Guinevere back to Castle Atlas to be treated.

Guinevere stayed unconscious for the rest of the night. The doctors told them that she suffered a concussion and that her body is currently suffering from strain and fatigue. That fall took a toll on her especially with that horrible gash to her head.

Granger suddenly wanted to go back to those bandits and make them suffer. Those gunshots seemed nothing to what they have done to Guinevere. Tigreal sensed this and placed a hand on his shoulder and shook his head.

"Don't taint those hands of yours with blood any further. Let the law punish them." He told him.

Granger squeezed his eyes shut and said nothing. Tigreal was right even though he hated it.

"Call us if you'll be needing anything. I'll notify her father about this incident." Silvanna said to Granger before exiting the room.

Tigreal watched Granger for a while as he sat down on the chair next to Guinevere's bed before he followed Silvanna out the door.

~•°•~

"Why do you hate me?"

His eyes met hers and she couldn't help but avert her gaze.

"I don't."

"I think you do. You always treat me so coldly."

She watched as he held her hand, stopping her from tending to the scratch on his left eye that he got from that demon he saved her from earlier. They managed to outrun the demon and two soldiers stationed close to the forest came to their aid.

Luckily, the scratch only affected the superficial part of his skin. No further damage was done to his left eye.

"I'm sorry if you thought so. I don't hate you. I just don't know how to...interact with people."

The young princess smiled in relief, "You're my new friend now then."

Guinevere opened her eyes slowly only to see the familiar white ceiling. It wasn't the ceiling of her room back at Castle Gorge but it was familiar. She frowned and looked around and realized that she was back in the room Silvanna provided for her. She's in Castle Atlas.

She was about to raise her hand to touch her bandaged head when a weight on it stopped her. She looked to her side to see Granger's head resting on his arm that was on the bedspace next to her. He seemed to be asleep.

She looked down on their hands, his gripping hers firmly even as he slept. A small smile tugged her lips but then she remembered what she saw back in the throne room.

She blinked and stared back up at the ceiling at the memory.

Just then, Granger stirred beside her but she didn't bother to look at him as he raised his head.

"Guinevere?" He called softly to her when he saw her awake.

He was relieved to see her conscious again but his smile faltered when he saw the sadness in her eyes.

She refused to look at him even if he called her name.

"Guinevere? Is there anything painful? Do you want something to eat?" He asked her softly.

"Did you get sick of me that quickly?" She whispered, not taking her eyes off the ceiling.

This took him by surprise, "What?"

Guinevere squeezed her eyes closed before she exhaled and turned to face him. Granger sucked in a breath at the sight of her teary eyes.

"You stopped writing to me and I ended up seeing you on one knee in front of Silvanna."

Granger blinked and shook his head, "You got the wrong idea."

"I got the whole idea, Granger."Guinevere interjected as she propped herself up on her elbow.

"You stopped writing to me. We dated for barely a month. You had a ring and you were down on one knee in front of her. You could've just told me you fell out of love, I'd understand completely." She pointed out as tears streamed down her cheeks.

She sat up and covered her face with both hands as she sobbed.

"Guinevere, no. Please listen to me." Granger begged and held both her hands, pulling them away from her face.

She sobbed and closed her eyes, turning his head away from him. Granger sighed and sat down on the bed, next to her and cupped the side of her face with his hand. He then gently turned her face towards him, making her look at him.

He then looked her straight in her green eyes, "I only stopped writing to you because I was busy with my duties and...I was busy taking care of the manor I bought for us."

Guinevere blinked in confusion, "Manor?"

Granger sighed, "I was saving it as a surprise for you and what you saw in the throne room? That was me practicing my lines in proposing to you. Silvanna only wanted to make sure I say the right things."

Guinevere felt her heart lighten. She let out a small breath as she processed everything.

"I'm sorry for making you think my love was shallow." Granger whispered to her.

Guinevere's tears rolled down her cheeks again. Guilt flooded her and she couldn't stop herself from crying again. She judged him too quickly and didn't even bother to listen to his side before. She felt awful.

She thought he cheated on her when all he did was ensure their future.

"Hey, hey. Please stop crying. I'm sorry." Granger begged her as he cupped her face gently with both hands.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry for thinking the worst..." Guinevere said shakily which made Granger shake his head.

He leaned down and kissed her softly on her lips to stop her from saying anything else.

"Hush now..." he whispered to her right after.

Guinevere held on to his hands and bit on her lip before she spoke once again.

"Let's get married."

This took Granger by surprise that he froze in his place. Guinevere looked up at him.

"I want be married to you already. Let's get married." She said so boldly that made Granger chuckle and nod.

He then leaned in to give her another long kiss.

"Let's get married." He told her in reply.