54

Trigger Warning(s): none

Talking to the Moon by Bruno Mars

~ Emira's Point of View ~

5:29 PM, WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 22, 2028 (1 MONTH LATER). NEW BRAUNFELS, TEXAS, USA.

"Abbaaaaaaaa, Emira is hogging the bathroom!"

"I don't know, talk to your mother."

"No, I said she was hogging the – you know what, never mind. Mááááááá!"

I opened the door, releasing a puff of steam that made Riella stumble backward. "There, all yours."

"I don't want to go in there."

"You were just yelling to Mom and Dad that I was hogging the bathroom!"

"You were! But now it's steamy, and I don't want it anymore."

"Oh, my goodness, just open a window, Riella!"

"I'll use the one downstairs."

I threw my arms in the air exasperatedly. Two years apart, and my family hadn't changed a bit. It was refreshing in many ways, to know that at least one thing had stayed constant, that something wasn't entirely a lie. When I first arrived home, my parents freaked out, noticing my ugly scar. I had to create an alibi about one of the 'terrorist attacks.' So, I guess something here was a lie.

My phone pinged from where it laid atop my bed, and I practically sprinted across the room to reach it. But the glowing screen just displayed a notification for an email from my colleague at Kim & Kim, telling me to enjoy Thanksgiving.

I didn't reply. I didn't care. The only reason I looked was for Arlie.

"Riella! Riella! Riella, for the love of – oh, Emi. Have you seen Riella?"

"Yeah, she went to the downstairs bathroom. Why?"

Thao looked just as exasperated as I felt. "She used my comb, and now I don't know where it went."

When he began to eye me suspiciously, I insisted, "I don't have it! Ask your girlfriend, or something."

"Hien doesn't know any more about it than I do." He continued to mutter to himself after withdrawing from my room.

After ensuring that the room was secure – by which I mean praying to God that my family wouldn't burst in – I plopped down on my bed and began to scroll through my messages.

That was the last time we talked. I sent that message almost a month ago, and Arlie had said nothing since. It felt useless to write periodic texts if she couldn't reply moments after first texting me. I didn't know whether she was actually busy or just avoiding me.