Chapter 12

The Great Uniter and her assistant shared a nod as they turned to look at the three approaching them. It was dawn, and the pair stood in front of thousands of lined up soldiers and mechas. Su, Wing and Wei, each trapped in mobility restriction pods, were also lined up behind them.

Opal, Jinora and the Avatar approached the pair, standing about 10 meters apart.

"Release them now!" Opal demanded.

"If Su agrees to bow to me and turn over Zaofu, she and the rest of your family will not be harmed."

"NEVER! I'll never bow to you!!" Su cried at Kuvira's remark.

Akemi watched the back and forth between the three and her leader. She listened as Kuvira tried to break down Opal's hope by giving her the impression that Bolin was eagerly working with Bataar on the spirit vine weapon.

"Avatar Korra, you are interfering with internal Earth Empire business and letting your personal feelings get in the way of reason."

Letting your personal feelings get in the way of reason.

Kuvira turned around to her audience, "I want you all to know that I would never ask any of you to do something that I'm not willing to do myself. So rather than risk your lives, I will fight the avatar one-on-one."

Akemi immediately put a hand on Kuvira's shoulder, giving her a look that blatantly read: Are you fucking INSANE?

Kuvira's assistant watched as her leader walked towards Korra and got into a fight stance.

Ooooh this is hot... SNAP out of it!! Akemi's thoughts paralleled her worry. Soon enough, she was left gasping; this was the first time she'd ever actually seen Kuvira seriously fight anyone. She was tossing Korra around like a ragdoll... This was hard to watch. The audience of thousands cheered, yet Akemi's silent eyes remained fixated on the two fighting.

She moved AMAZINGLY. And that agility... No wonder she was so toned. ...OH she should blindfold me with metal like that sometime...

Kuvira turned back to nod at Akemi, pleased to see her lover was spellbound. That gaze snapped, however, when Korra resorted to the avatar state, immediately breaking Kuvira down to her knees. Akemi watched carefully, in case she needed to step in. MAYBE NOW. She thought as she watched Korra rise up about six storeys, bending huge rocks around her at the same time.

Akemi SPRINTED with all her might and stood in front of her commander, who lay on the floor struggling to push herself up. Akemi was waiting for the right moment to make her move. She stared into Korra's glowing eyes while noticing that Kuvira's head began to lift and look at Korra behind Akemi's spread legs. The rock came crashing down and Akemi formed a blazing blue fire that ripped through the air around the pair, pushing them meters away from where the rock was falling. It wasn't aimed at them, in the end, though. It just crashed down in front of Korra, who herself crashed down behind it.

"Leave." Kuvira ordered as she jogged and bent metal cuffs which lifted Korra high up in the air.

As the two airbenders in the distance huffed a massive gust of air towards Kuvira, Akemi fended it off with an equally powerful blast of fire, keeping Kuvira unharmed.

"You broke our agreement. Attack!!!" Kuvira ordered her soldiers since the airbenders had tried to directly attack her. Akemi ran to her for a subtle embrace.

Just as the typhoon gained momentum, Akemi spotted a tiny, dark airship approaching from the distance behind the rows of soldiers. She turned back to look at the chaos in front of her. Asami.