Chapter 22

Akemi's foot hammered the gas pedal as she sped through Republic City's deserted streets in the convertible race-car at lightning speed. She'd even undone her hair to feel the wind breeze through her locks and cool her down.

"Kuvira."

The Great Uniter looked down at the radio in front of her when she heard that familiar voice crackle through.

"I'm here. Where are you, Akemi? I just stepped out of the bay."

The growl of the engine could be heard through the radio as the rolling tires burned on down the dry concrete streets. "I'm almost at Ursa Crossing." The car slowed down as Akemi stopped to talk properly. "Where do you want me to wait so you can let me in?"

Kuvira paused for a minute in thought, and replied, "Wait at Ursa Crossing. That guard Wan will let you in through the mecha's right ankle. You remember how I got in, right?"

"Yep. I mean I did help design it. Sounds good. I'll be there in about three or four minutes."

"No rush. After all, the Avatar may not be here to stop us."

Akemi could feel flutterbats swirl around in her stomach. "Okay babe." She said, causing Kuvira to smirk with a blush on the other end of the line.

"Also, are you in a satomobile? Akemi, did you steal someone's automobile to get here?!"

"Uhh..." Does she really have to be concerned about THIS right now? "You know what, Kuvira? Yes. Yes, I did. I wouldn't be able to get here in time if I didn't. I know you're all 'noo, don't take other people's property, belongings, this, that-" the assistant rolled her eyes and was interrupted by her commander's laugh.

"Nice." Her girlfriend cheekily responded.

"Wh- You're not mad?"

"Just get over here Akemi! We don't have much time."

With that, the curly-haired assistant hung up and dialed Mako's radio to update the others.

M- Uh.. Miyuri? No... What was his name?, Akemi tried to remember, since she'd only just met him.

"Hello?"

"Hi, uh, Akemi here."

"Hey, it's Mako. All good?" MAKO, right...

"Hey Mako. Kuvira's going to be standing at Ursa Crossing for some time. Get yourselves ready and you can find us on the giant mecha there." Akemi informed him.

"Here to see your lady?" The Earth Empire guard asked Akemi as he held her hand, helping her into the mecha.

"Y-" Akemi started to respond before she realised who was asking her that question. Almost falling backwards, Akemi grabbed onto his arm with both hands, trying to bring herself to balance. "Excuse me?" Did the WHOLE WORLD now know about this?!, she asked herself.

"I'm sorry, did I say something wrong?" Wan asked her once she had fully stepped inside the giant mecha and the entrance door began closing.

"I'm just asking, what did you just say?" She crossed her arms as she glared at him. First of all, that was none of his business. Second of all, how did he know?

Wan looked back at his coworker, Haru, who pretended that he couldn't hear them. Wan was on his own on this one.

"I just asked if you were here to see the Great Uniter."

"Ah, yes. Because 'Great Uniter' and 'lady' sound very much alike. I'm sure that was what you asked." The assistant sarcastically remarked as she turned around and started walking up the stairs to get to Kuvira.