Chapter 2

"You're late," Kuvira sternly stated. Akemi was standing beneath the shadows of the doorframe, not really phased, but a little concerned. Kuvira sat behind a sharp metal desk, her fingers interlocked and her arms and elbows resting along the length of the cool metal. The room's decor felt icy, yet Akemi brought heat with her wherever she went. Not just as a firebender, but as a warm-hearted and witty woman.

"I'm so sorry, oh Great Uniter. I just had to stop by the bathroom for an emergency, it won't happen again," Akemi said, a little nonchalantly. She wasn't taking the piss, but Kuvira felt entertained nonetheless.

"It's fine, nature calls for the best of us," her boss smirked, slowly leaning back into her seat. "Please, come in!" she gestured at another tall-framed, Art Deco seat in front of her desk. Akemi smiled a little and sat down, placing her hands on the armrests, "OH girl, okay..." she murmured and hopped off the seat for a split second.

"Oh, uhmm, I'm sorry it's just this metal everywhere can get so cold that it freezes my ass sometimes. Let me just -" Kuvira let out a chortle, her smile never fading. She realised what Akemi was about to do; firebend her booty to keep warm.

"Mmmm," Akemi entertainingly groaned as she smiled and raised her brows, shaking her head at the slight embarrassment she faked feeling. She'd already realised that Kuvira found her funny, but she didn't try to achieve that. Maybe she called her in just because she enjoys her company.

"Warm enough?" Kuvira jokes, raising her brow. Kuvira joked? What is going on. Akemi rolled with it. She was about to give the cheesiest response, but bit her tongue.

"Yep. I'm alright. So what did you call me in for?"

"Alright, so. Akemi, I've watched your attitude both towards doing your job and our mission, and as a member of our on-board team." Akemi's heart dropped for just a second, but she remained calm, "I've been very pleased with your work ethic and what you have actually contributed." Akemi let out a small sigh through her nose.

"You're very skilled with technology, and your intelligence and design craft has worked wonders so far. On top of this, I like you. You're a smart, yet down-to-business kind of person, and I like how your personality peppers in. It's a good balance," Kuvira continued. "I'd like to invite you to our inner circle; MY inner circle. It normally takes a long time for people to work their way up here, so well done..." she smirked, shooting a gaze straight into Akemi's eyes. Akemi's eyes remained fixed in place, only squinting slightly with a smile.

Kuvira continued, "First of all, I'd like for you to join me as my personal assistant. You'll get priorities that no other member has got. Well, except..." she let out a very subtle, deep sigh thinking of Bataar, that Akemi caught, "Yes. So you'll get various priorities above others by being my personal assistant. Additionally, as the only firebender on our team, I want you as my backup fighter... Remind me of your bending skills again?" Kuvira did not break her gaze once. As she asked her question, she leaned in and balanced her chin on her left hand, elbow pressed on her desk.

"Right. Well first of all I just want to give you my sincerest thank you. This really is motivating and means a lot to me; I'm definitely up for those positions. I won't let you down, for my duties are to you, Great Uniter," Akemi responded with sincerity in her eyes, "And I-"

"How come you still keep calling me that?" Kuvira asked with her raspy voice, "I'm Kuvira to you."

"Kuvira. Yes, sorry."

Kuvira smirked yet again. Meanwhile, she noticed, from the crack underneath the door to her office, the shadows of someone who seemed to be pacing and lurking behind her door. She had an idea of who it was, but ignored it. Akemi continued, "So about my skills, well I've mastered many of the classic as well as unconventional, or rare, skills. I'm still learning new tricks, it's fun. In terms of subskills, umm, I know lightning generation and redirection, although you knew that, umm... Firebreathing, flame generation... You know, the blue, more intense and, well, harmful fire... Yeah. Wow, sounds less impressive when I list it like that, but I promise you they can be used in many, many creative ways... I-"

"It sounds fantastic. I'm really happy to have you as my assistant. You're a rare find."

Akemi couldn't help but widen her eyes and raise her eyebrows. This is a lot of praise from Kuvira all at once. It's true that Kuvira throws the rare, tame compliment here and there every once in a while, usually as part of her coercion of Earth Kingdom leaders, but you know... It's something. This is cute. It's exciting.

"Just one more thing - so about the whole 'backup fighter' thing, do you mean I'm like a bodyguard?" she flustered, "err, not that you need one obviously, but you know, like -"

"Sort of, yes. You've got skills that I don't. We'll fight together. Position-wise, you're like a personal assistant and guard."

A thin, gleaming piece of v-shaped metal suddenly sprung up from somewhere in the room and levitated towards Akemi's left arm. Kuvira bent the metal to complete a column of 3 metal sheets; a 3-Chevron rank. For the first time, and only for a moment, Akemi had really sensed a genuinely soft look in Kuvira's eyes as she looked at her. It wasn't exactly pride, and it wasn't exactly a plain old glance... It was something new.

"Let's do this," Akemi's face transformed into a happy, determined look.

"I trust you, Akemi."

"Oh, you don't even have to say that. I won't let you down."

"Yes I know that. I meant I trust you."