Gifts.

Morning came slower than anticipated. At least for the young heir of Slytherin.

The loud chattering of the children seemed to worsen his mood. He felt no hurry. He rubbed the tiredness out of his eyes and took in a deep breath. His plan for the day was to hide inside his room all day in order to avoid dreadful Christmas sweaters and gingerbread cookies.

To be honest, all he did was avoid people day after day in that poor excuse of an orphanage.

He stretched his sore limbs and pulled himself out of his bed. Do not get him wrong. He is usually not very lazy. A golden boy like him was very punctual and particular in his every work. But that morning was different somehow.

He slowly changed into warmer clothes after a quick shower with the ice cold water. The orphanage didn't give him the privilege of a warm bath. That was how things had been since his childhood.

When he was ready to face his day - by doing nothing but read and maybe eat some candies he had received from Maybelle, his ears caught the sound of a carriage.

He raised a brow in confusion. Who could possibly visit the orphanage during Christmas?

He strode towards his broken window and peeked out. A huge, expensive looking black carriage was parked in front of the rusting gates of Wool's orphanage.

The coachman was dressed in sleek black suit and was rushing to open the door. The gesture made Tom scoff. Rich people always annoyed him. They were often arrogant and ignorant of the cruel ways of world. They tend to think that the whole world is within the palm of their hand.

Tom's father was a rich man. But he did not bother to take him in his glass palace. Instead, he was left to rot in an orphanage.

Tom had already lost interest in whatever was going on outside. When he was just about to leave, an odd scenario gained his attention once again.

The door of the carriage was opened all of a sudden and it slammed on the poor coachman before he could even open it himself. From inside, an unknown women stumbled out while trying to apologize to the fallen man.

Tom could barely hear her voice but he could tell that she was nervous. She offered her gloved hands to the poor guy which he hastily accepted. She apologized for the last time and gestured him to do something.

Soon the man took out a large and heavy looking trunk from the carriage and followed the women inside the orphanage.

That was when Tom understood that it was only the clothes for charity. He immediately lost his remaining interest and proceeded to hide himself behind the curtains.

He grabbed a worn out book about ancient magic and went inside his warm blankets. It was way out of character for him to lie back on his bed in the morning. But the winter was getting worse and he barely had any warm clothes. Even his blankets had holes in them.

The book was good. He had already read it many times but something about such powerful magic fascinated him. Especially the legend of a great wizard, even greater than Dumbledore, who once ripped through time and traveled to some other world.

No one knew what had happened to him afterwards. It was said that he did it to protect someone very important. Not to him but to the wizarding world. The magic performed was too powerful, even for him. So, his very existence vanished into thin air. It was the purest form of magic to ever exist.

The story always made him wonder if it was possible to be that powerful. If it was, then what was to be done to reach that extent? Not only would he have the wizarding world under him but also some other world that existed in some other instance of time.