𝐄𝐱 𝐁𝐨𝐲𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝

Start from the beginning

"What?" They replied in a short tone. "No, he wasn't that bad."

"He'd always come over yours uninvited and take your phone off you to end the calls you were having with me."

"Well, of course he could come over uninvited. He was my boyfriend." They replied.

"I'm not talking about the fact that he'd visit uninvited, although that was pretty annoying, I'm talking about the fact how he'd literally snatch your phone off you to end your face times with me."

"I wouldn't call it snatching." They brushed off quickly. "It may have looked that way, but it wasn't, trust me."

"(Y/n), he treated you like shit. I- He literally cheated on you!"

"I mean, that was my fault, really." They responded with a sentence that caused Clay to stare back at them like they were insane. "I think I just made him feel insecure in the relationship because I hung out with you so much. He's changed now!" They insisted.

Clay just rolled his eyes.

This guy may have been her ex, but he couldn't help but feel just a slight hint of envy. This guy had dated (Y/n). He had hugged them, even kissed them. And Clay was stood with (Y/n) because they decided to meet up with each other as friends. Although everything had passed, Clay had always feared that (Y/n) would just get back with him. Not only was it painful for him, but it was painful for them. He knew how bad he was for them, but they'd never listen to him. The two never spoke about dating each other. But this guy. He had been with (Y/n). He had unlocked the relationship status with them. He was envious.

"You can't possibly think that he's changed." His brows dropped to wear an unimpressed complexion.

"What do you mean?" They spun to take a quick glimpse over at her ex-boyfriend. "I've spoken to him a few times after we broke u-"

"You've spoken to him? I thought you dropped him!" He looked shock. "You said you would!"

"When did I say that?"

"You said you'd block him. Claimed that it was your 'awakening point'." He put in quotation marks.

"I don't remember." They shook their head. "I mean- He cut contact with me for a while but he explained that he just didn't want his new girlfriend to be jealous of me or whatever."

"Wait so he blocked you?"

"Well, no- His girlfriend did."

"Okay, so his girlfriend blocked you on his accounts... When did he unblock you?"

"I don't know." They shrugged. "A while ago. It was just after him and his girlfriend had just broken up."

Clay stared back at them. "Please piece those two things together."

"I don't know what you're talking about." They turned away. "I think you're being a little paranoid. He's actually a pretty good guy! We should go speak to him!"

"We should not, actually." He suggested, but when he looked over to see their ex again, he had already made eye-contact with (Y/n), waving in their direction.

"Come on, don't be like that. You never spoke when I went out with him."

"I wonder why."

"Come on!" They said excitedly, taking his sleeve to pull him forward so that they could meet their ex halfway.

As Clay steadied himself and sorted the sleeves of his hoodies back out after (Y/n) had been tugging on it, they saw their ex-boyfriend get up from his seat at the table and place his phone into his pocket, binning his rubbish as he exited the area. Both (Y/n) and Clay continued to walk for a couple of seconds before the dark-haired man met the two of them with a smile.

"Hey, (Y/n)!" He smiled up at them and Clay. His dark, scruffy hair was untamed and his eyes glistened the colour green as he stole a glance from (Y/n). His eyes were met with Clay's as they were roughly the same height and had to look down to talk to (Y/n).

"Hey, Ty'!" They turned their chirpy expression into an embraced smile as their cheeks flushed a red colour. They came back into view so she could catch a closer glimpse of his face again, slightly missing that cute smirk of his. They were kind of scared to have to communicate with him again, but once it happened, it was like they fell back into that little trance they were in when they were dating.

"Hey! Long time, no see." He chuckled, scratching the back of his head.

"Yep! It's been a while!" They giggled foolishly, hiding their arms in the sleeves of their sweater and playing around with their thumbs in front of them. Clay glanced down at his friend, confused at what they were doing.

"I didn't expect to see you here in Florida!" He chortled and looked around the area. "I thought that you'd be staying in (Y/h/t - Your home town) for the rest of your life!"

"Oh, I still live there! I just flew out to meet somebody..." They blushed and hummed quietly to themself. They looked up at Clay to indicate that he was the one that she met with in Florida, which seemed to catch Tyler's eye.

"Hello." Clay greeted awkwardly, lifting his hand up to say hello.

"Hey, man!" Tyler greeted enthusiastically and went in for a handshake, which Clay reluctantly accepted. "Are you the one that (Y/n) went to meet with?"

"The one and only." He chuckled. "I'm Clay, by the way."

"Tyler." Tyler said in response. "Wait, of course! You're (Y/n)'s best friend! They used to facetime you like- All the time!" He chortled.

"Yep..." He nodded, a little irritated to have been reminded about the memories and every time he had picked up the phone to abruptly end his chat with (Y/n).

"So, are you guys..." Tyler hummed and gestured towards the two of them, "Like... A thing?"

"What?" (Y/n) looked taken aback and immediately took a step away from Clay and closer to Tyler, laughing nervously. "No... Me and..." They glanced up at him. "No..." They shook their head quickly.

"Yeah, no, we aren't dating." It hurt Clay a little to say that, but he had to tell the truth. He watched as the love of his life turned into an embarrassed mess around this guy and stood back and let it happen.

"Oh, sorry! I just thought you guys looked really close. Like, closer than usual."

"No, no, we are close!" (Y/n) interrupted. "Just not... romantically close..."

"Yeah..." Clay added on slowly.

"Right, I was gonna say..." He hummed, looking down at (Y/n) with a flirtatious smile. "You could do way better than this guy."

Clay knit his brow, shooting him an offended look. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, I mean-"

"Clay." (Y/n) elbowed him slightly. "I'm sure he was just joking."

"...Yeah, man!" He looked back from (Y/n) back at him. "All jokes! Nothing serious..." He shrugged. Tyler narrowed his eyes and clicked his tongue as a reply. "Well... I've got somewhere to be..." He exhaled deeply and ran his hand through his hair neatly.

"Aw..." (Y/n) whimpered, slightly sad to see him go. "...That's too bad. It would've been nice to chat more!"

"It was nice to have this conversation, (Y/n)." He grinned over at them, flashing a cheeky smirk. "I really hope we can reconnect and keep in touch soon!" His face immediately changed from sneaky to nice when looking back. "You still have my contacts, right?"

"Yeah, of course!"

"Well then I'll try calling you later on!" He suggested.

"That sounds amazing!" They beamed brightly.

"I'll catch you soon." Tyler trailed past, brushing his fingertips against the skin of (Y/n)'s palm which caused them to shudder.

Clay glared at Tyler's back as he began to walk away, still feeling his irritation surge through his bones. Although it didn't look like it, Clay could still clearly tell that he couldn't have changed. (Y/n) just didn't see it.