𝐕𝐚𝐥𝐮𝐞

Pairings: Dream x Reader
Warnings: None
Pronouns: They/them

——————————

(Y/n) was still walking down the hall of items and animals that Dream had collected and had been planning to collect while the others crowded by the sidelines, Tommy mocking Dream. There were a few others still trailing down the hall, still shocked by all of it. BadBoyHalo and Ranboo were there, wondering of what could've happened if Dream had actually been successful and trapped Enderchest or Skeppy. Ranboo's heart ached at the sight of the thankfully empty fence post and Bad kept looking back at Dream in horror every time the cage had caught his eye. Dream was insane. Literally.

(Y/n) trailed over the item frame that protected the book that they held above all of their other items. Well, the book they had held over their other items, they didn't anymore because they lost it. Or so they thought.

To anybody else, the book wasn't really that special. It was a hand-written book by Dream that he gave to (Y/n) on their first day on the Dream SMP. And believe them when they say that it was a really old book. It was given to them even before the wars started, even before L'manburg. So not only did it have sentimental value, it had age value. That book had seen the inside of their enderchest for months before it disappeared. It was their mistake honestly, they took it out and accidentally left it in a normal chest. They didn't understand why somebody would want to steal a welcome pamphlet from them, but they figured that they had held onto it for too long. It was probably time to move on from it.

But the thing was, they never moved on from it. For weeks on end, they searched the entire server for that book and they couldn't find it. They blamed themself, they thought that they had misplaced it. And they couldn't just ask Dream for another hand-written book because the thing with that book was that it was the first gift he had given them. There was real thought put into his words and you can't just replace that. And now, seeing it here, in the frame of the man who gave it to them in the first place was just heart-wrenching.

Without a second thought, (Y/n) quickly reached forward for the book and pulled it straight out of the item frame, carrying it between their hands. Their eyes were narrowed to blink back the tears that were forming in their eyes as they marched over to the crowd of people surrounding Dream.

They each caught one glance at (Y/n)'s face and how angry they must have felt, and each made way for (Y/n). They paved the way for the person that was going to give him hell. Even Tommy and Tubbo stepped back. Tommy was most likely tired out of ridiculing Dream and wanted somebody else to take a crack at it.

When they reached the front of the crowd, all eyes staring at them. They met with Dream. Powerless and helpless, he was trapped inside of an obsidian box. He made direct contact with (Y/n), the glint in his eye completed faded away when he saw them. A little confused, he narrowed his eyes. But (Y/n) dragged their sleeve below their eyelids to wipe the tears that had began to drop down from their face and held the book up. Dream exhaled deeply.

"What is this, Dream?" They questioned in a very broken tone, almost like a whisper. They held the book with both hands up to him so he could get a clear look at it.

"It's... um..." He cleared his throat before continuing. "...It's the book that I gave you when you first moved to the Dream SMP." He croaked, his voice low and raspy.

"Right..." They huffed, looking down at it. "Why was it in the hallway? With all of the other things?"

"Because... It's valuable to you, right?" He glanced up at them from his place in the box. Despite his situation, he said it quite nonchalantly. "I took what I could that was valuable to others and stored them away."