4: The New Way to Travel- Duffel Bags

A few minutes later I got to the big house, and rushed to the infirmary. I figured Jay would be here making sure Bryce didn't die, although a few people here wouldn't be sad if he did. I frowned at the thought. I didn't want him to die, but he could definitely use some humility.

"Jay, we are going to talk about the prophecy," I called, peeking my head into the room. "Can you leave him for a little while?" Jay finished organizing some healing supplies, then turned to me. "Yeah," he said, then followed me out the door. As we started walking out, he added, "I'm nervous about the quest though. I'm the only real healer here, and what if someone gets really hurt-" I stopped walking and put my hands on his shoulders. "Jay. The camp is going to be fine. Your dad will be more than willing to help. He visits camp about every other day."

Jay grimaced, avoiding my eyes. "I know, I just-" He sighed. "I feel like whenever my dad does something for me, all the other campers just hate me. Especially Soma." He looked up at the ceiling. "I don't know that much about Soma to know if she hates me for that reason or something else, and now I have to go on a quest with her."

"I don't think anyone is happy with the group," I sighed. "But Soma is nice, if you get to know her. I think that she could get over your dad, if only she would accept that she doesn't need her parent's approval to be a wonderful person."

"How well do you know her?" Jay asked curiously.

"As well as I know everyone at camp," I laughed.

Jay messed with his golden-blonde hair, which was pulled up into a bun. "Yeah, I was going to say you tend to know everything about everyone."

I'm pretty sure everyone knew that I knew every secret there was at camp. I never really knew how, but I just seemed to be very observant, noticing small details, connecting dots with things people said and did. Like how I knew that Jackson didn't actually want a relationship no matter how much he flirted, and how I knew that Soma was a really complicated person, and that Grace-

"Sometimes I think you could earn some crazy money if you started spilling those secrets you have," Jay continued. "I suppose you knew that Roxanne and Tony were actually good friends."

I shook my head, a little embarrassed. "No actually. That took me by surprise."

Jay raised an eyebrow. "Well good for them then. They hid a secret from the great detective Miles Dilara."

I laughed. "Come on, we need to go catch up with everyone else. They are at the lake looking for Alyssa and Soma.

<><><>

"Oh good, you are all here," I said as I slowed down to a walk in front of the lake. Soma and Alyssa were sitting on the ground, and Roxanne, Jackson, and Xander were standing next to them.

"Miles, short people on the floor," Xander called.

"I'm not even that short," I said with a roll of my eyes at the same time Alyssa said, "Hey!" then whacked Xander's leg gently. But she smiled up at him and Xander reached down and grabbed her hat off her head. They laughed and wrestled for that hat for a little bit while the rest of us just exchanged glances.

"Okay love birds," Soma groaned, flopping onto the ground. "Can we chat about the quest now?"

Xander snatched the hat back one last time and placed it on his head, then sat down on the grass by his girlfriend.

"Okay crew," I began. "So what I'm thinking is we follow Percy Jackson's path. We go to the places he went and talk to anyone we can and find as many facts as possible. Then we make a list."