Chapter 29

WITH ZACHARY AND MILLIE at another part of the mansion, Aura was left on her own in a foreign environment. She wrapped her arms around her waist as she paced in front of the couch for a while.

She had just been under Zachary in quite a position, and then Millie bursted through the heavy doors with a sob story. And not only did Zachary stop his advances on her, he stood up and left her there while he went to console Millie.

A soft chuckle escaped her lips. She wanted to believe that didn't happen, but it did.

She wasn't sure how to take it either. Being interrupted under those circumstances were annoying to anyone, embarrassing even, but there was a sense of relief after Millie invaded their privacy. Zachary kept coming onto her, and while normally she would be so into it, she couldn't help but feel like she was in the wrong place with the wrong person.

However, the matter of being interrupted by none other than the woman who spilled red wine on her and attempted to intimidate her in a hardware store sickened her.

Yes, Zachary was friends with her.

Yes, Millie had bragged about being his neighbor.

Yes, it was obvious that Millie was head over heels in love with him.

But if she was so in love with him, why not make a move? And why keep pining forever and getting ridiculously jealous over every girl he brought home?

The thought left a sour taste in her mouth. She took a deep breath and fetched for her phone, almost calling Tyson to pick her up. Instead, she locked her phone and sat on the couch, head in her hands.

She wondered if she could sneak over and find out what they were doing. She imagined Millie all over Zachary. Tears streaming down her chin, she'd throw her arms around him and try everything to get him to be all in her space.

Aura shook her head. Millie was probably acting way more desperate than that.

She sat for twenty minutes, tapping on her phone screen to check the time every few seconds. There weren't any footsteps to be heard nor faint whispers she could follow. The house was massive enough to leave her in a complete silence after Millie's one woman show.

She jumped when her phone rang in her hands. For some reason, she wondered if it was Zachary, but when she read Corey's name, her shoulders relaxed.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Girl, where you been? I'm thinking about going to eat tacos. You wanna come with?" He said. She didn't even have time to breathe before he unloaded everything he wanted to say.

"Corey, I'm at Zachary's house right now," she responded. It sounded like a question once she voiced it out, but she was sure Corey got the message.

"You're at his house!" His voice took an edge that she wasn't expecting.

"Corey, I don't want to be here. I don't even know why I'm here. This is a shit show. All I wanna do is..."

Go with Tyson.

She mentally groaned.

She was supposed to be mad at him. But she couldn't help it. Everything was more organic with Tyson. Zachary was all talk and lots of unnecessary touching. The one thing going for him was that he wasn't gross about it, not like his friend, Callum.

Her spine shivered at the memory.

"Aura, I can pick you up from there," Corey said. "I have my keys here. Just say the word."

She teared up and whispered, "yes."

"Alright, just walk out of the property and keep walking down the street until I pull up. Get as much distance as you can from that place. I'll probably get there in ten minutes."