Chapter 13: Confrontation And Acceptance

Melanie arrived and waited at the top of the stairs leading to the school. The bell rings and students exit their classes. Her expression said that she was calm, excited and a little bit nervous. Across the lawn, Edward noticed Melanie and saw the intensity on her face. It made him stop abruptly in his tracks.

She got up and walked toward him, eyes meeting his. Her look spoke silently, 'We have to talk.' then continued on directly past him, into the dark forest that bordered the school.

He watched her disappear into the dense trees, then took a step to follow. Jasper instantly moved in front of him, Rosalie grabbed his arm. "Edward, don't." she tried to stop him, but Alice placed a hand over hers and gently removed it from his shoulder.

"He's already there." Alice confirmed then watched him go.

Melanie stood amid the opaque trees and shrubbery, waiting in silence as she looked up at the thick foliage above. Suddenly, and not all to soon, the sounds of the forest abruptly dropped out. A predator was near. Immediately, she had her sword out as she sensed his presence behind her. Slowly turning around to face him, she looked into his eyes with determination. "You're impossibly fast. And strong. Your skin is unnaturally pale-white and ice-cold. Your eyes change color. And sometimes you speak like... you're from another time."

She stepped forward, her steady sword raised with one hand, her fear was the last thing in her mind as confidence took over. "You never eat or drink, or come out into the sunlight. And you said no to the beach trip only after you heard where it was. Because of the treaty." This last comment registered with him. She stepped even closer, the tip of her sword now resting at the center of his chest. "How old are you?"

"Seventeen." he vaguely answered, his eyes never leaving hers.

"And how long have you been seventeen?" she reiterated with a firm tone. He could see that he couldn't hide anymore. Honesty was an enormous risk, but he had to take it.

"...A while."

She nodded knowing that was the best she was going to get for the time being. "I know what you are."

"Say it." he challenged. "Out loud. Say it... Please." He needed to hear her say it. Confirm her suspicions openly.

The entire forest was deathly silent as she whispered out, "...vampire..." They seemed to hover in momentary stasis, him utterly exposed, her reality shifting ever so slightly.

"Are you afraid?" Edward asked, making her shake her head and lower her weapon; dissolving it back into her bracelet.

"No." she finally answered, intrigue taking over her caution.

He grew angry, "Then ask me the most basic question: What do we eat?"

Melanie rolled her eyes, "You're not going to hurt me. You're different. That, and I won't allow it." she threatened subtly.

"You think you know me?" he asked as he took a slow step towards her. As he glared at her, she held her ground without a hint of consternation in her system. Suddenly, he took her hand and began quickly leading her further up the mountain.

"Where are we going?" her voice was light and curious.

"Up the mountain. Out of the cloud bank. You need to see what I really am. What I look like in the harsh light of the sun." to which made her furrow her brow.

"Won't you, like, burn up or something?" her mind going back to when she read 'Interview With The Vampire'. 

"Myth. You need to see the truth." his voice was harsh, judging, but not of her. He pulled her forward but she stumbled a bit.