Chapter 21: Voting

Once they were deep in the forest, far enough not to be tracked by her brother of course, Melanie turned around to face the nervous looking vampire. She smiled a little and held out her hands for him to take. As they stood there together, hand in hand, the forest seemed to quiet. As if it were waiting, holding its breath, to see what was to happen next. After a pregnant pause, she finally spoke quietly. "I never got to show you this, but I think it's a much faster way of traveling then your running. No offense." He simply chuckled and nodded, both in acceptance and for her to continue. As she closed her eyes to concentrate, Edward began to notice how the darkness began to gather around them; becoming so concentrated it became wisps like fire. Then, in an instant, they were gone. From Edward's point of view, he felt as if he were wildly in motion and yet standing still. He couldn't see light or dark, just an abyss of absolute nothingness. No up nor down. Just, nothing. Then, in the same instant, they were in the front yard of Edward's home. It all happened so fast Edward didn't know if that cold feeling he felt to his core would ever go away.

"What was that place we went to? The second before we came here?" Edward quickly asked, his curiosity overwhelming him.

"That, hun, was the void between worlds." she spoke with pride, knowing full well how impressed he was. She then nodded her head toward the house, "Come on. Alice probably will have them all waiting by now." Melanie then began to jog up the steps, then went inside with him beside her and headed toward the main living room.

As expected, everyone was either sitting or standing in the living room. "I wanted you to explain the situation." Alice whispered from her place by the door, hugged her, then moved to sit beside Jasper on the couch facing them.

"Well, I'm also going to assume you all know what happened in Volterra. That you know what they want of me. You all know what Edward wants, you all know I don't want to and that I will in order to protect you and everyone I've ever known. But I won't force myself on you... So, I think the only fair way to handle this is by voting."

She then heard Edward scoff from her side, "You can't be serious." He was frustrated to know the decision wouldn't be up to him.

Melanie elbowed him then deadpanned toward him and raised her eyebrows. "Sit down and hush, I already know your vote." she shot back, then turned back to the family with a calm smile. "Alice...?"

The beautiful immortal jumped up and gave her a hug in an impossibly swift instant. "Like you're not already my sister. Of course, yes!" she gushed, happy to see her vision was going to happen compared to the alternative.

Melanie giggled and thanked her, then turned her head when she saw Jasper stand up but kept his distance. "I vote yes. It'd be a relief not wanting to kill you all the time."

She nodded, "I feel. Rosalie?" Everyone turned to the blonde, unknowing of what she'd say.

"This isn't the life I'd have chosen for myself. But I know what it's like to have to lose someone I consider a sister. So... yes. I want you around for as long as I can get." Melanie's smile widened into that of fondness and appreciation.

Emmett then was at her side and pulling her into a bear hug, "I vote hell yeah. We can pick a fight with these Volturi some other way." She giggled again at his childishness, then turned to Esme as she approached her.

"I already think of you as a part of the family. Yes." Her tone was endearing and full of love. It truly made Melanie's chest swell with overwhelming amounts of adoration.

Carlisle moved, but not toward Melanie. "Edward--" he tried to begin, but was immediately interrupted.

"You can't go along with this, Carlisle. You know what it means." Edward practically growled, his hardened gaze on the floor.

"You've chosen not to live without her, which leaves me no choice. I won't lose my son." he then turned back to Melanie. "But Alice has never turned anyone. It'd be safer if I did it--" The front door suddenly slammed. Edward was gone. Melanie's shoulders sagged, but she knew it was only the beginning.