Chapter 06: Start of the Honeymoon

"Houston?" Melanie asked, raising her eyebrows as they reached the gate in Seattle. The reason they were able to go by plane was because her father had called in a favor or two with his brother, Zeus. His own way of giving them a wedding present.

"Just a stop along the way." Edward assured her with a knowing grin. It felt like she had just fallen asleep when he woke her. She felt groggy yet alert as he led her through the terminals, slightly struggling to remember how to open her eyes after each and every blink.

But it didn't take her long to catch up with what was going on when they stopped at the international counter to check in for their next flight. "Rio de Janeiro?"

"Another stop." he confirmed with a smirk.

The flight to South America was long but comfortable in the wide first-class seat, Edward's arm cradling around her. They didn't stay in the airport to connect with another flight as she'd expected. Instead they took a taxi through the dark teaming, living streets of Rio. A sharp twinge of something very close to stage fright twisted in her chest and stomach as she thought of them coming closer and closer to their intended destination. All though, the further they travelled, the more excited she got. Only when they reached the ocean did they stop, ending up at the docks.

Edward then led the way down the long line of white yachts moored in the night-blackened water. The boat he stopped at was much smaller than the others. Sleeker. Built for speed instead of space, but still luxurious.

As they sped away from the docks, Melanie relaxed and enjoyed the cool ocean air and the shower of sea spray that came with it. They travelled until the lights of Rio faded into the distance and ultimately disappeared behind them. On his face was his familiar exhilarated smile that came out when enjoying any form of speed. She held back her giggles of amusement as she admired his pale, moon light stricken features.

After about another forty-five minutes or so, Edward called her name over the roar of the engine. "Mels, look there." then pointed straight ahead. She could only see blackness at first, as well as the moon's white trail across the water. She searched the space where he pointed out until she spotted a low black shape in the distance. The closer they came, the more detailed the silhouette became. All the pieces then came together as a small island rose out of the water ahead of them. "This is Isle Esme."

The boat then slowed dramatically, drawing with precision into position against the only dock of the island. As soon as the engine cut off, the silence that followed was deafening. There was nothing but the sounds of gentle waves slapping lightly against the boat, of the rustle of the palm trees as the breeze danced passed them.

Edward placed the suitcases on the dock then turned back around, smiling his perfect smile as he reached for his wife. Instead of taking her hand, he swooped her up into his arms. She giggled with delight and rested her head on his shoulder as he then grabbed their luggage with his other hand, cradled her in his arm and began walking toward the beach house not to far away.

Once inside, he set her on her feet, took her by the hand and led her through the house; flipping on light after light as they went. Eventually, they came to a big white bedroom. The far wall was mostly glass-- standard décor. In the center of the room was an absolutely huge white bed, hung with billowy clouds of mosquito netting circling the perimeter. A gentle smile grew upon her face as she thought of how thorough he seemed to be about the 'activities' he had promised her. On the outside, she seemed confident and ready for anything. But on the inside, however, she felt completely and utterly terrified. What should she do? What should she expect? What would be required? Would it be awkward? Most likely.

Before she could delve to long within her own mind and drive herself crazy, she felt her husband's cool arms wrap around her waist from behind. "I tried to think of everything that would make this... easier."

She chuckled softly and turned around to face him, wrapping her arms around his neck. "You're far to sweet for my own good." she joked and pulled him into a soft, adoration filled kiss.

As he pulled away, he leaned his forehead against hers and breathed in her intoxicating scent. "Would you... first... like to go for a midnight swim?" he asked slowly, not sure on how to proceed either.

"You know what? That actually sounds nice." She then pulled out of his arms and held his hands instead. "But first, I'm gonna need a few minutes to myself."

He nodded in understanding and kissed her along her jawline and whispered into her ear, "Don't take to long, Mrs. Cullen." He moved toward the French doors that opened right onto the beach sand. "I'll wait for you in the water." He then shrugged out of his shirt, dropped it on the floor and slipped through the doors into the moonlit night.

Melanie took a deep breath and walked into the bathroom. She found herself to still be that beautiful bride she had started the day as. After taking off her makeup, she let her hair down and took off all her jewelry. She then walked out of the bathroom, headed out the French doors and onto the beach. She immediately noticed the rest of Edward's clothes hanging from a bush. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she walked barefoot along the soft sand.

It wasn't hard to find him. His chalk white skin was a striking contrast from the night blackened water. He stood waist deep, looking up at the moon. She couldn't hear the sound of her own footsteps, but she guessed he could. But he did not turn. As she continued forward, she felt the gentle swells break over her toes and found the water to be as warm as a relaxing bath. Not caring if her crimson dress got wet, she made her way to his side and placed her hand over his where it was lying on the water. "Beautiful." she spoke quietly, looking up at the almost full moon as well.

"It's alright." he answered with an unimpressed tone. He then turned to her and intertwined their hands under the water. "But I wouldn't use the word beautiful." he continued. "Not with you standing here in comparison." She half-smiled up at him and placed her free hand over his unbeating heart. He shuddered the tiniest bit at her warm touch. His breath came rougher. "I promised we would at least try. But if I do something wrong... If I hurt you, you must tell me at once."

She nodded in agreement solemnly, making sure to keep her eyes on his. "Don't be afraid. We belong together." The weight of her words suddenly hit her. She had never been so right.

His arms wrapped around her torso, holding her against him. It felt like every nerve ending in her body was a live wire. "Forever." he agreed, then pulled them gently into deeper waters.