"hi oliver," you smile, as his attention goes to you.

"great job in the quidditch match yesterday, you did absolutely brilliant." you tell the scottish boy as he flashes you a smile.

"thank you y/n!" he says as you let out gasp, eyes gazing down at your wrist.

"shit." you whisper to yourself as oliver uncomfortably scratches the back of his head, realizing what had happened.

"sorry to disappoint you, y/n," he says and you shake your head, blushing profusely.

"is everything alright?..." you here hermiones voice, taking the seat next to you as you quickly nod, happy she was there. you bite your lip when you see oliver stand up from his seat abruptly, leaving out of the common room in a hurry.

"oh my godric," you announce, laying your head on the table as you cover your face with your hands.

"what just happened?" hermione laughs, amused.

"i almost thought he was my soulmate." you tell her as her jaw drops.

"he didn't say thank you?" she asks, referring to your inked wrist as you lift your head off of the table, eyes meeting hers.

"no, he said thank you y/n" you reply, forcing a smile as her jaw drops.

"man, that's harsh." she tells you as you let out a loud sigh, mumbling "i know.."

"you know, your words aren't so bad." hermione tells you as you raise an eyebrow.

"one person had just the word "no," tattooed on her wrist," she says as you laugh.

"no way in azkaban i'd have the patience for that." you snort, laughing.

"oh, and one of the slytherin quidditch players had "you're so cute!" written on his wrist! he was so disgusted and embarrassed that he held onto his wrist the entire time to avoid being made fun of!" she says as the two of you giggle.

"i hope i find him soon," you say, when your laughter dies down, you eyes now staring at your inked skin.

"you know, it's okay to wait y/n. it'll be all worth it in the end when you find him." she says, hope in her voice as you hesitantly nod.

~

it had been over a year.

after so many long months since your 16th birthday you still hadn't found your soulmate. in the beginning, you were so determined to find him, staying up all night for certain activities, watching every quidditch match, and participating in everything involving small talk with the other students. but all that was doing was draining the life and energy out of you.

and at this point, you had lost all hope of finding him.

right now you were in the great hall after class, gulping down a glass of pumpkin juice. you were seated next to hermione as she was as always, bickering about something with ron.

you place your cup down on the table, grabbing a pastry as you eat it slowly, lost in thought. then in the corner of your eye you see a pair of fiery gingers heading toward you, seating themselves beside you.