twenty-one: irrevocably

Start from the beginning

Tom poured himself yet another glass of champagne so he could have a moment to think of a new strategy.

"I see the cogs turning again." Lucia chuckled, downing the last of her champagne and then holding out her glass for a refill from him.

He flashed her a fake smile as he took the glass and poured more of the sparkling drink into it. He reasoned that the more she had to drink the more her guard would be down.

"I'm just offended that you don't fully trust me." He remarked, handing back her glass, "Need to check it for poison?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Okay, now you're being ridiculous." She rolled her eyes, "I don't think I need to keep repeating myself. I trust you, I just don't necessarily think we see eye-to-eye on some things."

"But that's what makes our conversations so interesting." He smirked.

"Whatever you say." She chuckled, sipping her drink.

The waiter settled their plates in front of them, and replaced the now empty bottle of champagne with a new one.

"So, tell me about you at Hogwarts." Tom requested, picking up his knife and fork, "I want to hear about your house, your friends, the teachers... I feel like you've hardly told me anything."

"Well, I'm a Ravenclaw, so take what you want from that. I suppose none of the other houses would have fit." Lucia explained, "And friends... well my closest are probably Lorcan and Lysander Scamander, they're twins."

"What are they like?" He probed her to continue.

"Rather dreamy, kind of like they're always high to be quite honest." Lucia laughed, "Though considering their mother I'm not surprised, do you know of the Lovegood family?"

"I know of them." Tom commented, keeping a composed expression.

"They seem to always know the right thing to say, such kind-hearted boys." She sighed, "We met in first year, and I suppose I've been friends with them ever since then. It's not a draining friendship though, in fact I hardly keep contact with them over the summer. But it's nice to have people at school, you know? When I see them it never feels like any time as passed, and I don't feel quite so alone if I have them to turn to."

"Sounds quite fortunate you met them." Tom observed, not looking up from his plate, "And the teachers?"

"Well, Professor McGonagall is the headmistress." Lucia began.

"An interesting choice." Tom said as he listened intently.

"Professor Longbottom teaches Herbology." She continued.

Tom attempted to stifle his scoff, but it came out as a type of snort, so he stabbed an asparagus spear and quickly brought it to his mouth to silence himself.

Lucia gave him a puzzled look, but went on, "Professor Hagrid teaches Care of Magical Creatures..."

Tom almost choked on his asparagus, "Okay, I think I've heard enough."

"You know of some of them?" Lucia said curiously.

"Let's just say throughout my travel through time I have seen many people." Tom said carefully, taking a sip of champagne to clear what remained of the asparagus.

Lucia appeared deep in thought as she continued pushing her gnocchi around the plate.

After a few moments of silence, she finally spoke.

"Are you still trying to become immortal?" She asked, looking into his eyes.

"Interesting you ask." Tom cocked an eyebrow, "I'm exploring my options."

"You're maddening." She laughed, "This weekend I'm going to show you the time when I feel most alive, and most accepting of death. If after that, you still want to pursue your miserable eternity, I won't stand in your way. But I want you to keep an open mind, you have to promise."

"What is it?" He asked sceptically.

"You'll have to wait and see." She said teasingly.

"Fine.", He shook his head and finished the last of his meal.

After paying the check, Lucia began to feel quite restless.

"I'm just going to go to the bathroom." She announced hastily, pushing her plate away from her and standing up with her bag clutched tightly in her hand.

After walking into the building and into the women's bathroom, she checked hastily if there was anyone inside, peering under the doors of each cubicle.

Lucia was pleased to see no one else was present, so she pulled out the small bag of white powder from her bag, using her keys to scoop some out and raise it to her nose.

After a couple of times, she felt rather lightheaded due to the combination with alcohol, but walked carefully out of the bathroom and back to the table to a waiting Tom.

"Shall we go?" She asked as he looked up at her, fiddling with the strap of her bag restlessly.

"Yes." He said, standing up and walking towards her with a curious look on his sharp features.

He stopped directly in front of her, rather close for being in public, before bringing his thumb to brush over her nose.

Fuck.

"You should really check the mirror before you walk into the middle of a restaurant with coke on your nose. Really Lucia, I thought you were a Ravenclaw." He tutted, his breath fanning over her face as he looked at her in disapproval.

Lucia thought her cheeks had probably never been more red.

How was she so careless?

"Tom..." She began, trying to explain.

He raised his hand, "We all have our own poison, the only difference is I'm trying to extend my life and you seem to be trying to cut yours short." He shook his head as he turned away from her to walk towards the exit.

She hurried after him, cursing her own stupidity.

author's note

thank you all so much for 3k reads!

I hope you had a lovely halloween. I watched tom felton on liam payne's veep... love love love, he is actually an angel.

also, due to the small platform I've accumulated, I have to say:
if you're from america and have the ability to vote, please please please do.
I'm from australia, but I can see what you're all going through.
we are the next generation who can make changes, let's start now <3