38)Officer of the Law

After about half an hour of sitting in the car with Lexa I couldn't handle the guilt anymore. This just wasn't right. Lexa loves camping so I'm going to go camping with her. I can make it through one night.

I opened the car door and I watched as Lexa's eyes shot up in surprise.

"Come on Lexa, we are going camping."

"But...aren't you afraid?"

"I'll be fine with you by my side Lex."

I watched as a massive grin spread across Lexa's face and we both got out of the car. I wasn't prepared for Lexa to run up to me and lift me in the air spinning me around in a tight hug. I laughed as we spun round and round and when Lexa finally set me back down on the ground I knew I'd be ok. How could anything bad happen with Lexa at my side?

I don't know what I would ever do without Lexa in my life. I nearly didn't survive when her and and Lincoln left suddenly several months back. I'm not sure I could handle ever losing her again. Anytime we are separated I feel like part of me is missing. I am madly in love and I'm not afraid to admit it anymore. I want to marry Lexa one day.

Lexa and I walked back over to the camping site where Marcus, Aden, Madi, Abby, and Chewy were all waiting for us. We ran up and greeted them and I told the story of the giant spider which maybe wasn't that giant, earning laughs from both of the kids who loved teasing me along with Lexa.

I didn't mind the teasing though. How could I when Madi Aden and Lexa were all looking absolutely adorable a usual. We spent the next few minutes listening to Aden and Madi tell Lexa and I about their hike and all of the cool things they saw.

Aden and Madi are both like Lexa in their love for the outdoors. I guess it runs in her Woods blood though. Lincoln owned a lake house so I know he liked to be outside a lot too. I mean Lexa built an entire winter wonderland, so clearly she appreciates the beauty of nature. I really look forward to the day we can take Madi and Aden there, I truly think they will love it.

The rest of the camping trip was actually way better than I could have ever anticipated. We spent the entire afternoon playing around outside with chewy and the kids and I finally started to understand why camping is so fun (minus the massive spiders of course).

When it was finally dark out we were all sitting on logs around the campfire that Abby and Marcus had setup before our arrival. I had my head resting on Lexa's shoulder, watching as Madi and Aden toasted marshmallows over the fire with the help of Marcus and Abby. I was surprised how peaceful it was out here in the middle of nowhere. The stars above us were more visible than ever and I knew I was already looking forward to my next camping trip with my family.

"Thank you." I whispered, snuggling further into Lexa's neck, burying my head in the comforting scent of pine and cinnamon Lexa had been putting off all day. Damn she smells good.

"For what?" Lexa asked confused.

"For everything." I mumbled, still watching the kids laugh and play around as they made s'mores over the cracking of the fire. "Lexa you make me stronger. I can do anything with you at my side and I love you for it. You make me a better person."

I felt Lexa move her arms around my waist and pull me closer. She placed a soft kiss in my hair on the top of my head and then snuggled close to me again. "I love you so much Clarke. More than I could ever try and express. I want our family to be official one day. How do you feel about marriage because I was thinking maybe one day if-"

Our conversation was interrupted though with the loud sound of footsteps from behind us and flashlights shinning all around. Lexa and I stood up quickly and turned around to face the 4 approaching figures. I noticed quickly they seemed to be police officers of some sort. One of them stepped forwards and pulled out a badge.

"Hello my name is Officer Levitt and I am here for a Lexa Woods."

I turned to Lexa and she looked shocked.

"That's me officer." Lexa said, stepping forwards. "What's the problem?"

"Miss Woods we have a warrant for your arrest." Officer Levitt explained, motioning for one of the police at his sides to pull out a piece of paper that confirmed his statement.

"What? On what charges?" I asked, realizing Lexa couldn't talk as she was frozen in place completely shocked.

"We can talk about all of this with Miss Woods in custody. I'd really prefer not to do this in front of the kids though." Officer Levitt explained, causing Lexa and I to turn around quickly to see Abby Marcus Madi and Aden watching the whole interaction from several feet away.

"No you can't do this." I protested, stepping in front of Lexa.

"I'm sorry Ma'am but aiding and embedding a criminal is a federal offense and you can be arrested too for helping Miss Woods fight the arrest. I'd advise you to step to the side so we can handle this whole thing in a peaceful manner."

I was about to argue and maybe even earn myself an assault charge against Officer Levitt when I felt a soft pull on my wrist that immediately calmed me down. I turned around to see Lexa looking at me, her eyes teary but somehow calm too.

"We will figure this out Clarke. Let them take me."

"But Lexa-"

"Clarke it's ok. It's all going to be ok."

I nodded my head and turned back around to face Officer Levitt again. "Can she say goodbye to the kids first?"

Officer Levitt seemed unsure but looked back at the other officers who all nodded their heads. Finally he looked back towards us.

"Ok. Just please make it quick."

Lexa nodded and we both quickly ran to the kids who were super confused.

"Madi, Aden, I have to go for a little bit and I'm super sorry. Your mommy is going to take really good care of you while I'm gone though."

"But I don't want you to leave mom." Aden frowned, his eyes starting to tear up.

Lexa and I also started crying and Lexa brought both kids into a tight hug. "I know. I'm so sorry. I love you two forever and I'll be back before you know it."

"We love you forever." Madi and Aden responded.

Everyone was now full on crying including Abby and Marcus who tried to hide it.

"Hey kids we have to go so the grownups can talk." Marcus explained, and he and Abby lead the kids to one of the tents. Lexa gave them a thankful nod and then turned to face me. "Whatever happens just know I love you so much Clarke."

I couldn't contain myself any longer and I pressed my lips to lexa's tasting the salt of our tears as we cried out our pain. We were so happy just minutes ago and that was all over once again. I should have known better. I never get the damn happy ending.

When we pulled away Lexa wiped some tears from my face and then we walked back over to where the officers were waiting for us. I watched as Officer Levitt reached behind him and pulled out a pair or handcuffs. Lexa turned around giving him access to her wrists which were quickly cuffed with no resistance from Lexa whatsoever.

"Lexa Woods you are under arrest for murder." Officer Levitt started. "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you can not afford an attorney the state of Colorado will provide one. Do you understand these rights?"

Lexa nodded her head and gave me one last look that said everything. It was absolutely heartbreaking and It was like I could feel her pain in my heart which was shattering into millions of little pieces. I was about to lose the love of my life yet again and for reasons we didn't even know of. I don't know how I'm going to survive this. I have to do everything in my power to get Lexa's name cleared as soon as possible. I have to. I can't live without her.

I watched as Lexa walked away with the officers as I was left with this horrible feeling deep down. I felt broken and defeated like I've never felt before.

Murder. Lexa was arrested for murder. How could this have possibly happened? I knew I had to find out immediately.

An: Things are getting crazy again...