The Man Who Would Be King

Start from the beginning

"I just realized that I didn't catch your name," you said while standing up.

"Mitchel. Joshua Mitchel" he said extending his hand, and you shake it.

"Thank you, Joshua"

He gives you a kind smile and opens the door to leave. "I hope next time we meet it won't be under the same circumstances, ya hear?"

You and Sam both laugh "Thanks Joshua" Sam says as Joshua walks away.

Sam helps you walk out of the little shed that consisted of two rooms, the bedroom you were in, and a desk room. It was little and quaint and when you exited you saw Dean leaning into the back seat of the impala, no doubt cleaning up your blood.

You felt your breath hitch in your throat and Sam could tell you got nervous and stopped.

"Y/n Dean has missed you. He just feels guilty. Just talk to him. I know you both can get over this"

You nod as you continue forward relying on Sam. Once you got close enough you decided to make a smart remark. "What a view to wake up to," You say with a smirk, admiring Dean ass. You could hear a small chuckle from Sam as Dean turns around to look at you with a smile on his face.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" He says completely ignoring your statement.

"I'm good" you state with a shrug. "Would be better if you two didn't distract me while I was working"

"We were only trying to help," Sam said from beside you and Dean just lifted an eyebrow.

"yeah yeah," you say moving to let go of Sam and get into the car. "let's get going"

The car ride was very awkward and quiet at first, but soon you three were back to normal... almost. Dean would catch glimpses of you through the rearview mirror, but when you caught him he would look sad and turn away, looking back towards the road. You and Sam started talking about anything and everything that came to mind, and Dean would pitch in smart remarks and an opinion or two now and then. It was nice, but your heart ached seeing Dean so close and not being able to set things right between you two. Though you wanted a relationship with him still, you were unsure he wanted the same. You could settle with just being his friend again, but the thought alone caused your stomach to churn with unsettled emotion.

You ignored it though and when the conversation lulled you would just watch Dean from behind Sam's seat. You would watch the way his face would soften as his thoughts would flow through his head, his knuckles would occasionally clench the steering wheel and soften as he would breathe deeply. You could read him so clearly. He was nervous, he felt guilty, but above all, you could tell that Sam was right. He missed you and was having as many mixed emotions as you were.

"Y/n," Dean said after a long time of quiet in the car. You could tell you were only an hour or so out from Bobby's. "Back there... at the nest..."

You didn't want to have this conversation. You knew they both would bring it up eventually, but you hoped that maybe this one time they would let it go.

"You were reckless." he finishes while turning his head for a moment to look at you. He had pain in his eyes as he met yours. "Too reckless... y/n we could have lost you"

You didn't know what to say.

"Y/n," Sam said after a couple of moments. "Dean and I, we care for you. You are family. The way you just... just..."

"Skeward yourself" Dean huffs.

"yeah, that. It was too far"

You sit up and move to the middle seat so you could look at both of them. Sam turned his attention fully to you and Dean kept glancing through the rearview mirror.