Chapter 15: Ditch

I didn't argue with Vince to let me ride the bike back home, I didn't want to risk bargaining something else this time. I unwrapped my arms from around him and stepped off the bike.

"Thanks for tonight, I actually had fun," I gave a supporting smile.

Vince rubbed his hand at the back of his neck, "Lori?"

"Yes?"

"Goodnight," he blushed. Did Vincent Westwood just blush? Holy shit, it's the apocalypse!

Do I hug him, or kiss his cheek or go inside or wait until he leaves?

"Good night," I bit my lip still trying to contemplate what I do.

"Go on in," he nodded his head to my front door. Sweet, he was going to make sure I literally got home. I unlock the door and waved him goodbye as I step in.

"Is that him?"

"Holy!" I jump and drop my keys holding my hand to my ruptured chest. "Mom! You scared me!"

"Sorry..." she blushed slightly. "All I could see was that he had some nice shoulders and rode a bike. Is he a bad boy?"

"Mom," I rolled my eyes.

Was he a bad boy? A guy that torments people for pleasure, power abusive, and lacks school attendance. Yeah he could pass for a bad boy.

"Do you like him?" she asked.

"I um, I like... Someone else," I blurted.

"Oh my! Who's the lucky guy," she grinned like a romantic.

"His name is Emmett, he's really smart, like when I say genius I'm not kidding, he has one of the highest IQs. He's also sweet and caring," I tried describing him.

"Then what's the bad boy like?" she asked wiggling her brows.

"He's... a mystery. When he opens up to you a bit it only leads to more questions and walls," I admit.

"Oooh, dark and mysterious, I like," she grinned.

"Mom! You're married and he's as old as your child!" I gasped.

She burst into laughter, she was messing with me.

"Pumpkin you're home," my dad's head popped from the kitchen. He had a little pie left over.

"Hi daddy," I went over and wiped off the pie before my mom noticed and kissed his cheek.

"Did you have fun?" he asked, giving me a secret high five from behind his back.

"Yeah, I actually did surprisingly." 

It was true. "I met an old friend. Remember that girl Vicky I told you about?"

"The one from your trip to Africa?" asked my dad. Oh wow he actually paid attention and remembered my friends. Warmth filled me up, he was a good father.

"Yeah her! She's going to Westwood now," I smiled.

"That's amazing honey! Invite her over and your friend Allison. Isn't it time we meet them?" asked my mom.

"Soon, oh and daddy, I got a lot of business cards," I said pulling them out to show him them. He looked at them with an impressed look. It felt good to make him proud. I haven't felt this good since I got my first 100%.

"See honey, I told you Westwood was a good idea, she's a natural just like her old pop," he told my mom.

She sighed in defeat, "Fine I'll admit it, it will be good for her future. Now I think it's time we all hit the hay."