Chapter 35: Normal

"Sir, you really don't have to do this," Vince repeated for the nth time.

My dad sighed. "Nonsense boy, this is the last I hear of this and it's final."

Vince has been trying to convince my dad that this was a bad idea, that helping him would ruin our family, that we weren't obliged to deal with him. My dad however refused. I got my stubbornness from him. No one would get away with threatening or buying our family. I knew a part of my father was doing this sort of an in your face towards Mr. Westwood.

We parked in front of our house and found my mom sitting on the front steps. She jumped up when she saw us.

"Oh my baby!" she hugged me tightly giving me the support I needed. She let go and looked me in the eye to see if I was okay. I was. She let me go and walked over to Vince.

"Oh you poor baby, come here!" She hugged him not really giving him a choice. I saw Vince wrap his arms around her waist and nuzzle his head in the crook of her neck. My heart ached at the sight of a boy who needed his family at the moment and was taking what he could get. My mom ran her hand down his back and hair soothingly. "You know you are family right? You can stay here as long as you want. This is your home now."

She kept saying words he needed to hear. He kept nodding his head, not saying anything.

"Come on sweetie, let's get you inside and settled in. I'll make you something to eat and I'm sure Robert has got some clothes that will fit you," My mom put her hand on his back leading him inside. I looked at my dad who looked at Vince with pity before heading inside too. I followed them to the kitchen where my mom was heating up some leftovers from dinner. Vince was sitting on the stool with his elbows propped on the counter and his chin in his hands. I took the seat next to him and he looked down at me and smiled. I know he was trying to show me he was okay, but his eyes told a whole other story. He just lost everything today, no one put in this situation would be okay. I leaned my head on his shoulder and he grabbed my hand intertwining our fingers together.

My father cleared his throat. I removed my head from Vince's shoulder, but kept our hands together.

"I don't mean to sound insensitive, but this is still my house and Lorraine is still my daughter. You will be sleeping in separate rooms. You will not be in the same room after nine. Anytime before that, the door must stay open..." Oh God no! My father kept going on and on with his list of rules and demands. "Any questions?"

"No sir, I respect your wishes. Thank you again for welcoming me into your home," Vince nodded his head taking everything seriously.

My mom tried easing the tension, "Lori, why don't you go set up the guest room-"

"Not the one beside your room," my father pipped in.

"Dad," I groaned. He had no faith in me.

He gave me those eyes that said not to question him.

"Robert, why don't you find something of yours that might fit Vince," my mom redirected the conversation.

My father looked at Vince one more time before going upstairs. I pulled Vince's hand to my lips and gave him a soft kiss. "I'll be right back."

He nodded his head and I got up to prepare his room for him. I put on some new covers and fluffed up the pillows, everything else seemed to be clean thanks to Sophia.  I went to my room and got changed into some PJs before heading back downstairs. Vince wasn't there.

"Mom, where's Vince?"

"Oh he didn't have the stomach to eat anything. That poor child. You know if he wasn't eighteen I would have called some lawyer and put his parents in their place. Their parenting skills are truly-"