Chapter 28: Explanation

"I, uh, I don't know where to start," Vince ran a hand through his dark hair.

"Anywhere Vince, I'm just so confused. Vicky said you have your reason, so I won't judge you, but I just need some peace of mind," I admit.

"Did she tell you anything about my mother?" he asked.

His mom? Now that he's mentioned it, they've never spoke about their mom.

"No, what about your mom?" I asked.

Vince's breathing got heavier and he ran his hands frantically in his hair. I scooted closer to him and grabbed his hands, which he squeezed tighter.

"Just say it," I whispered.

"They left Lori. My mom left me as a baby, Vicky's mom left her too, my Aunt is forced to see us at school and social events, but other than that avoids us, Vicky left me when she ran away. My dad's never home. The only person who's around is Maria and as selfish it is to keep her to myself, I have to let her go and visit her family too. Lori everyone leaves me and it fucking hurts each time. Sooner or later you are going to realize what a fuck up I am and leave too. I'm not going to drag myself long enough for that to happen. I'm sorry but I won't," his voice was shaking and so raw with deep emotions.

He pulled his hands away from mine, but didn't move away.

"So instead of me hurting you, you hurt me? That's so hypocritical of you Vince. Was I not enough for you? Did I not show you I cared enough? I was scared too Vince! I still am! Do you know how much it sucked not being able to make a friend or go into a relationship because in a few months I knew in a few months I was going to get up and move and never see them again. But I went ahead and tried with you because I thought you cared. Because I cared and then you go ahead and- and-"

I'm practically sobbing at this point not being able to stop myself. Vince pulled me into a tight embrace and I tried pushing him away, but he held me tight and I continued to cry drenching his shirt. He ran a hand through my hair and across my back as to sooth me. He couldn't do this. He couldn't hold me like this, like he cared.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he cooed into my hair. "I didn't want to hurt you. You were to suppose to find someone else and be happy."

"You don't get to chose for me," I sniffed still trying to contain my sobs.

"You're right, please just don't cry. Please," he begged.

Vincent was begging me to stop. Something I never thought a Westwood would do. He just sounded so sincere, which made it hurt more.

"We were doing so well, I thought we were going to continue to be happy, why didn't you want that?" I asked my voice still shaking.

"I wanted that. I still want it. I want it so badly," he answered holding me tighter.

"I don't get it Vince," I choked.

"I'm scared Lori," his voice came out a whisper.

I lifted my head to look him in the eye. I grabbed his face between my hands forcing him to look at me.

"Vince, I'm not going to leave you unless you hurt me," I promised him.

"I'm probably going to hurt you," his voice was barely audible.

"Do you like me?" I asked.

Vince furrowed his brows in confusion. "More than you know it."

"Then I believe you won't, I think we can work through most things," I replied.

"Lori, I want to," Vince leaned his forehead against mine making my breath hitch.

"Then do, I believe in us," I managed to say. I was too dizzy with the proximity.