Chapter 31

It was in Snape's office.

Ginny had come sprinting up to me in the hallway, frantically whispering.

It was in Snape's office.

There was no way we could leave it there. It was rightfully Harry's. Dumbledore had left it to Harry in his will.

It was in Snape's bloody office.

"So, how exactly do we plan to steal the sword of Gryffindor? From Dumbledore's office? That's now Snape's office? The same Snape that killed Dumbledore and would probably kill each of us for sport?" Neville asked, his voice raising an octave at each question.

Luna, Neville, Ginny and I had snuck out of our common rooms at 4 in the morning, tiptoed to the empty Transfiguration classroom, and were huddled in a corner discussing strategy.

"I-I don't know. I just know that we have to." Ginny said, determined.

"And how exactly are we going to get it to Harry? Don't think I'm disagreeing with you, Ginny. Just for...clarity." Luna whispered, her wide eyes blinking slowly.

"I don't know that either." Ginny admitted, looking at her fingernails.

We all sat, counting the ticks of the clock. It had seemed like a good idea, when we said it in the calm evening sun. Break into the office, steal the sword, get out quickly. Send it to Harry, he can use it if he needs it. Stab You-Know-Who or something poetic. War wone. Celebration. Everyone's happy.

In the early hours of the morning, the plan was not so easy.

"What if we...we try to distract Snape? Draw him out of the office?" I offered, and Ginny shook her head.

"Too risky. We have the Carrows, still." She said, lowly.

"What if we would...go in while he was sleeping? Like at this time?" I asked again, and Ginny shook her head once more.

"The wards in the office would wake him up. We'd be caught before we could even reach the desk." She said, angrily.

Another long pause filled the room. Suddenly, a plan was forming in my head. It was risky, sure. It was much better than anything we could come up with, though.

"No, Ginny, you're wrong. A distraction would work...it just has to be big enough to distract Snape and the Carrows. It has to be big enough to distract everyone." I said, slowly. I clicked my tongue against my teeth and looking down.

"Whatever you're thinking, Lizzie, the answer is no." Neville said, his voice strong. This was the first time I had heard Neville have some sort of resolution in his voice.

"Always the brave Gryffindor, Longbottom. Unfortunately, you underestimate my ambition." I whispered, a wicked grin pulling at my lips. My heart was stuttering out of rhythm, but my face didn't give it away. I turned back to Ginny.

"I'm going to raise hell, regardless. I suggest you use it to your advantage, so that whatever I do isn't in vain." I said, earnestly. I grabbed Ginny's wrist tightly as she studied my expression. Finally, she sighed.

"There's no talking you out of this, is there?" She asked. I shook my head rapidly.

"Fine. At breakfast. What will be the signal?" She asked, looking at me. I looked around the group and thought.

"I'll stumble. I'll drop all of my books in the Great Hall. That'll let you know that my distraction is coming, and to be ready to go." I said after a long moment. All three of them nodded. Ginny sighed audibly.