Chapter 44

Echoing. Everything was echoing all around me. The cries from friends and family over their dead loved ones rattled around in my brain like rocks in a jar. I couldn't unhear it.

"Lizzie." A quiet voice said behind me, and I finally registered that whoever stopped me from ripping my heart out was still holding my wrists.

I turned over my shoulder, looking into Astoria's warm eyes.

"Lizzie, you're going to be okay. Do you hear me? You're going to be just fine." Astoria was repeating, her words echoing in my head.

I stared blankly at her.

"Who else?" I asked, my voice hoarse. Astoria looked at me, puzzled.

"Who else is dead?" I asked, and Astoria looked down.

"Bonnie. One of those Weasley twins. A bunch of students. That's it—-for right now." Astoria said, uncertainly.

"Death Eaters?" I asked, my eyes glancing around.

"A bunch. Someone said they saw a Death Eater killing other Death Eaters. It's just a rumor right now." Astoria said, a knowing glint in her eyes.

"I—Astoria, I can't lose him. I—I won't survive it." I said, my voice low and breaking.

It was the first time I uttered the words out loud, though they had been true for a long time. I knew them to be true. Draco was the love of my existence. The thought of him, dead, somewhere in the castle was unfathomable.

"I know, Lizzie, I know. When this is all over, we'll look for him, alright? You can't just run through the castle right now. It's not safe, not with You-Know-Who and his army just outside. This fight could pick back up at any moment, and it's you I can't lose, Lizzie." she said, gripping my arms in her hands. She looked at me imploringly, and tears welled up in my eyes.

Astoria was my family. She was all I felt I had left. I gripped her arms back, nodding. She breathed a sigh of relief. She opened her mouth to say something again, but was cut off completely. Commotion by the front door stole our attention. Waves of people were looking out into the dark courtyard just beyond the doors. There were murmurs of confusion, gasps and all-around disbelief.

I staggered to my feet, dragging myself toward the door. There, just beyond the light of the castle, a wave of Death Eaters were moving. It was hard to make out who all was among them, but the shiny scales of a large snake in the center told me that Voldemort was leading the pack.

The first voice broke the silence, screaming into the night.

"NO!" McGonagall cried, her fist coming to her mouth to stifle her screams.

Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Neville were next. The chorus of "Harry!" and "No!" and "Not him!" were deafening.

Finally, my eyes adjusted as I watched Hagrid stumble into view, cricket ball sized tears falling onto the body of Harry Potter.

My stomach gave a great lurch. I felt sick rising in my throat, which threatened to close on me.
Harry was dead. Voldemort had won. Everyone here was in grave danger. My friends—my family—was doomed. Sheer dread filled my chest.

"Harry Potter is dead. He died a coward's death, trying to run away from you all. As you can see, he was just a stupid boy. Average, who only succeeded because his friends were willing to sacrifice for him. From now on, you will put your allegiance in me." Voldemort's high, cold voice rang across the square. Hagrid had been ordered to place Harry at Voldemort's feet, and the boy who lived lay still and dead on the grass.