Chapter 4

"Remus! Have you seen my Ilvermorny jumper?" I called from my room.

I was holed away in my room, packing a small overnight bag to go and stay the night with Tonks. Tonight was a full moon, and Remus had never been comfortable with me staying at the house. No matter how many times I told him that I was staying, he wouldn't allow me to, even if he drank his potion. The potion, which he brewed the night we returned from Diagon Alley, allowed him to keep his mind during his transformation and not hurt anyone. I had told him that I wanted to stay at the house, and be with him during the transformation, but he yelled at me so harshly that it caused me to never ask again. Now, I'm used to sleeping somewhere once a month when I'm home. Usually it was with Tonks, sometimes at Kingsley's.

"Down here, in the parlor." he called back, and I grabbed my bag and went back downstairs. I grabbed the jumper and stuffed it into my bag, looking up at Remus.

"Tonks will be here to collect you any minute. I'm going to send your school trunk with you, just in case...well, in case something comes up and I cannot accompany you to the train station tomorrow morning." Remus said. I nodded sadly, not wanting to think about boarding the Hogwarts Express without Remus bidding me farewell. "You'll try though, won't you? To come?" I asked, hating that my voice made me sound like a frightened child. "Of course I will, Lizzie, sweetheart." Remus said, placing a hand on my shoulder. He smiled at me, but I could already tell he was feeling anxious and his head was throbbing. That was the beginning of the change, but it was still early so that I was in no danger.

Just then, we heard a crack in the living room. We walked in, seeing Tonks standing in the middle of the room. She was a slender, pale girl with short hair. Usually it was hot pink, however right now it was a mousy brown shade; something I had never seen on her before. She looked tired, but her face broke into a splitting grin when we entered the room. "Remus!" She said, warmly. She hurried forward and hugged him, and he looked utterly taken aback. "Oh- I-er- hello, Dora. Very lovely to see you." Remus said, detaching himself from her. She stepped backward, grinning broadly at him. I cleared my throat and she whipped her head around to look at me. "Lizzie, my girl!" She said, latching herself onto me. I, unlike my godfather, wrapped my arms around her and squeezed. "It's been too long, Tonks." I whispered. She let go of me and sighed, looking at Remus.

"You don't have to do this alone, you know. I could stay with you. My mum as at my house, Lizzie could go stay with her and then I could be here-" "Nymphadora, please!" Remus said, almost harshly. Tonks looked angry with Remus using her full name, but decided not to push it. I looked between them, feeling the awkwardness in the air.

"I'll- er...go and get my trunk, then?" I asked, not waiting to be dismissed. I left the room in a hurry, wanting to give them a bit of space. I hurried up the stairs, grabbing my trunk.

"Trunk...wand...books...Oh Squidge!" I practically yelled, almost forgetting the owl. He fluttered his tawny wings in his cage, looking almost offended. I grabbed him, and headed for the stairs.

"Remus, why?" I heard Tonks whisper in a low voice. The pain in her question made me stop. I felt bad, but I held my breath and listened into their conversation.

"Dora, I've told you. I am too dangerous for you. Too old for you. You are young, there are plenty of men your age that would be so much better for you...that would give you the life you deserve. I've seen the way that both Bill and Charlie Weasley look at you, Dora. Give them a chance! I-...I just cannot give you...what you're looking for." Remus said. The sound of his voice broke my heart, because I knew what pain sounded like coming from him. He sighed heavily.

"Remus, don't you understand? I don't care. All of what you just said, I don't care about! I want you, not them. I have feelings for y-" "Lizzie, are  you ready, darling?" Remus called, obviously hearing me near the stairs. I bit my lip, knowing I had been caught. "I am. I'm coming!" I called, in a falsely high voice.