44 | Out of Her Head

Start from the beginning

So what was special about the kiss that made him yearn to find out who she was?

Could he have felt the same way she did?

Stephanie internally groans.
Those are the type of thoughts that has been running through her head all week and the fact that Chris is avoiding her only adds to it. Everything is messing with her head.

Or could he have told her that just to mess with her head?

Right now is an example of one of her zoning out moments. As Brooke picked out an outfit for her, she zones out and now that Brooke is calling her name, she doesn't hear.

"Earth to Stephanie!" Brooke sings.

Steph finally zones back in and turns to see her best friend holding up one of the two dresses she bought for her at the mall on Tuesday.

Brooke raises a brow at Steph, watching her suspiciously. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong. What makes you think that?" Steph asks, avoiding Brooke's eyes.

"First of all, you zoned out and second, you've been off all week like there's something bothering you. You think I didn't notice? You don't even seem as excited as you were for the date when Luke first asked you," Brooke points out.

Steph sighs, debating whether to tell Brooke that she's busy thinking about a guy who isn't the one she's about to go on a date with.

"I guess I'm a little nervous. I've liked Luke for a while now and now that I'm going on a date with him, I'm nervous. Where do you think he'll take me?"

Brooke lets out a breath as she rolls her eyes. She goes to sit beside Steph on the edge of the bed.

"You don't have to be nervous. You shouldn't be nervous, girl. It's Luke, the same sweet guy you've been friends with for more than month now. All you have to do is let loose, be yourself and have fun."

Steph nods. "I'll try."

"Who knows? You might have your first kiss with him after the date tonight," Brooke says, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

Steph blushes. "Stop." She covers her blushing cheeks with her hands and groans.

She wonders if the kiss will be better than the one she had with Chris.

"Now that that's out of the way," Brooke drawls, standing to her feet. " I think you should wear this."

She holds up one of the dresses and Steph shakes her head in disagreement.

"No. If I must wear a dress, I'll wear the other one. It's more simple," Steph states.

Brooke rolls her eyes. "Fine."

Maybe the date would help her get her mind off Chris.

***

After Luke meets her parents properly and have a talk with her father, they leave the house together.

Steph pulls her jacket closer to her body because of the cold air as they near his car.

He opens the door for her and she thanks him before getting in.

"So, where are we going?" Steph asks as soon as he enters the car too. She buckles her seatbelt and Luke does too. He turns on the ignition before answering her.

"I was thinking we could go see movie and after that, we'd have dinner."

"That's okay by me."

Luke smiles and slowly pulls out of the driveway before heading down the road.