Chapter 1: His voice

I have always believed that life is nothing but a chance to fulfil all we have ever dreamt of. Where everyone around me including my batch-mates and friends, want to get good-paying jobs; I add a couple or more dreams to my list every day. It's already senior year at college. Three years have passed by so fast. Next year probably I would be at one of the B-schools studying management.

Ever since a child I never made friends easily. Sitting in one of the corners of the classroom I would quietly observe each of my classmates. I always loved to play this one game where I would see people around me and guess their stories. I would cook up stories , framing every sentence of their conversations in my mind. Since I have gotten so used to being alone, I don't like spending much of my time with people. Apart from my dream to study management from one of the biggest B-schools, I dream to become a writer. I want to travel to places far away and learn about different cultures, I want to spend my leisure time in theatres and musicals, creating and learning different arts. And many more of such dreams that keep me awake.

Tomorrow, I have an assignment due and though I have already completed my assignment, thanks to Ahana, it's late into the night.

I met Ahana on my first day at college. I remember carrying a corridor map, searching for my classes and thinking I have lost my way, I asked for help from a cheerful little girl in the hallway. She had a tomboy look with a boy cut hair, shiny doe shaped eyes, wearing a rugged t-shirt with ripped jeans and a smile that stretched from one ear to another. 

"Hi, do you know where I can find this class?" I asked.

Looking into my registration card she was excited. "So you are a freshie too? We are in the same class." And jumped happily throwing her arms around my shoulder.

"I am Ahana. What's your name?"She asked. Her cheerful little voice ringing in my ears.

"Yeo-Reum." Seeing the confused expression on her face I guessed it at once. It wasn't the first time I got that look upon my introduction.

"My grandma's best friend was from Korea. She came to India as an exchange student and they became buddies. So, they together came up with this name for me. It means summer." I explained.

"Ok, this won't do. I will have to come up with a name for you soon." Laughing she said.

And since that day we have always been together. She calls me 'Summer' which she came after thinking for an entire day. She is good at academics so she always helps me with my assignments and test preparations. 

I have been tossing around on my bed for over an hour and a half now. Frustrated I get up from my bed and browse through the internet searching for new songs that I could listen to while waiting to fall asleep. I have already become too bored with my last playlist and decided to make a new one. While searching through the new trending songs, I found a song called "Sweet Night" by Kim Taehyung. What could be better than this for my current situation?

I pulled out my earphones from the drawer and hit the play button. For 5 minutes following this, I was lost somewhere between the music, lyrics of the song and that voice. Every word and every sentence of the lyrics building a little world inside my heart. I don't know when I fell asleep but I was lucky enough to hear the alarm go off, or I won't have made it on time to my class to submit my assignment. 

It was 8:00 am when I entered my class. Professor Sandhya had not yet come. My eyes sweeping across the room to find that one familiar face and finding Ahana sitting in the third row I moved towards the empty seat beside her with my eyes fixed on the ground. The classroom was loud with students laughing and chatting. But the only thing on my mind was his voice. 

Who is he? Why haven't I heard him before? As the professor kept teaching throughout the period, I kept thinking of his baritone voice. As if his voice was melting in my ears.