Chapter 31

"How did you get here?"

"Lawrence's men found me. I found Theo and Jess." Gally pauses, shifting his expression to a more wary one, "listen, Lawrence doesn't get a lot of visitors. Just let me do the talking, yeah?"

"And don't come running to me if you get scared." I pipe up from the back.

"Where are you going?" Newt asks- a bit too quickly. Brenda and Thomas exchange smirks, but I don't dwell on it.

"To talk to Theo. If Lawrence approves, you'll be gone a while."

Five confused faces stare back at me. I sigh. "Just, go."

They all nod. Newt leaves one lingering glance and turns away.

Hearing approaching voices, I follow them to two very familiar faces.

"Oh come on Lily. It's just one date. You won't regret it."

"Not happening."

"Why? What do I need to do for you to like me?"

Lily doesn't bother replying- instead catching sight of me at the end of the corridor. Her eyes light up slightly and she quickly mouthes help me. I shake my head teasingly. Lily glares at me, but I just smirk at her. She'll thank me when they're married and bickering at 40.

Theo shifts his gaze from Lily and he stares imploring at me. "Don't you think Lily should date me, Jess?"

I pretend to think for a moment. "I think... Lily should make her own decisions."

Lily sends me a grateful look that i just wink at; Theo's groans and complaints making the whole scene just a bit funnier.

With one last disgruntled look at Lily and me, Theo swings an arm around our shoulders and leads us towards the rundown room reserved for meetings or better know as our hang out space.

"I think we have a bit of time if Gally is showing your friends the place with the telescope. And that Teresa girl." Lily interrupts the silence.

I nod distractedly. My mind takes me back to Thomas and Teresa's relationship. The sounds of Lily and Theo arguing in the background fades as I think about Newt.

He and I certainly get along better than anyone else from Group A. The way his eyes crinkle when he smiles always brings a smile to my face and his thoughtfulness and patience is what makes him such a good friend.

"Oi Jess. What's got you smiling like you just found your first love?" Theo comments.

Lily and Theo snicker at my startled expression.

"N-nothing." I stammer out.

And I do something so dumb it makes me internally cringe: I blush.

A/N: Ooo is Jess maybe starting to realise she fancies Newt? I'm sorry it took so long, but with so much happing in the Scorch Trials, I wanted to make it realistic timing and have fun with a bit of build up...:)