Chapter 28

Jess' PoV

"We'll send out a advertisement team tomorrow."

Lawrence's voice rings around the enclosed room. I stifle a yawn.

Tomorrow, Lawrence has finally agreed to let me go on my first advertising round in the truck around the city.

Considering I had spent months trying to convince him to let me go, I had to control my excitement to a degree that Gally and Theo would stop moaning at me to shut up.

I swear they become more like each other as each day passes.

That can't be good for my sanity.

"Jess! Are you even listening?" Lawrence's voice pulls me out of my monologue and my head shoots up.

"Sir yes sir!" I salute mockingly.

Lawrence just rolls his eyes and continues on. This time I pay attention to him:

"The time is coming my friends. When we will gain were evil has fallen. We will take victory where corruption that has ruled for so long finally falls. Our goal is not us; not the flare; not WCKD. It's to save good. Save what we have left and good fruits will bear forth." Lawrence pauses to cough, his tank of blue substance that I can only assume is bliss, jerks along with his movements.

"Every advertisement round isn't just another round. It's about what it achieves. So go out tomorrow. Fight."

And with his words echoing through my brain, I spin on my heel and leave the room.

Theo greets me from outside the door.

He grins at me- his dimples more prominent in the glare of the sunset. "How was it?"

"Good." I answer, "it was good."

Theo hums in acknowledgment, his pace quickening to keep up with mine. "Lily hesitated when I asked her out today. I think it's progress." He starts dreamily.

I gag and scrunch my face up at him.

Theo has been pining after one of the munies here called Lily ever since we arrived. She doesn't look like she appreciates the effort but I can't blame her. Theo needs to get a grip on himself when he's around her.

And stop asking her out every five minutes.

I have talked to Lily a few times, but she seems to like hanging around Lawrence and Gally more. Nevertheless, I like her presence.

"Yeah well." I shrug nonchalantly, "maybe you would stand a better chance if you actually talked to her instead of just flirting with her."

Theo raises his eyebrows. "Yeah... no."

We laugh together and for one small, minuscule moment, my body relaxes and I lose tension in my shoulders.

"Well I'll leave you to sleep. Big day tomorrow, huh?"

A/N: New Oc!! I promise you will like her:)

Willow Shields as Lily

Willow Shields  as Lily