Chapter 10

"Good plan Thomas. Just listen to what he has to say. Really working out for us."

"Shut up Minho."

Being suspended from midair by ropes and with cranks below us is not an experience I would recommend. Clearly, I wasn't the only one. I could feel the blood rushing to my head, giving me a headache.

"Who was that dude you knew, Jess?"

I arch my back to look at Thomas. Typically, he's the one asking questions in a crisis like this. Nevertheless, I answer him, "my brother, Theo."

A chorus of ohhhhs come from the gladers. I roll my eyes and go back to trying to untie my feet. Just like the past 57 tries, it doesn't work.
"Enjoying the view, hermanos?" An accented voice comes from the balcony.

"What the hell do you want?" Thomas spits.
"That is the question hermano. My men want to sell you back to WCKD. Life has taught them to think small, I'm not like that, something tells me you're not either."

As if reading my mind, Minho says, "Is the blood rushing to my head, or is this shank not making any sense?"

Internally clapping Minho on the back, I add, "In English, dude. English."

Jorge glares at me and Minho before ignoring us and continuing,

"Tell me what you know about the Right Arm."

"I thought you said they were ghosts." Newt questions.

"I happen to believe in ghosts, especially when I hear them chattering on the air waves."

Oh, so that's what the radio was for.

Jorge is dangerously close to the lever now.
"So tell me what you know, and maybe we can make a deal."

"We don't know much." Thomas replies after a beat of silence.

Jorge's smile drops and he pulls down on the lever. A small squeal exits my mouth when a feel myself drop nearer to the crank pit at the bottom. My heart lurches with fear. My trust in Thomas now literally depends on my life.

"Okay, okay. They attacked and got out a bunch of kids. That's all we know!"

Jorge opens his mouth to reply, when one of the buff guys from earlier come sauntering through the door. "Yo Jorge. What's going on?"
Jorge hesitates slightly before replying. "Me and my new friends were just getting acquainted. We're done now."

"Hey wait. You're not going to help us?"
My hand balls into a fist at Thomas' stupidity. Can't he see Jorge's smarter than he seems?
"Don't worry hermano. I'll get you back to where you belong."

The man and Jorge are quick to exit but not before Jorge yells out, "Hang tight!"

I scoff. "Will do, smart guy." I mutter under my breath.

A/N: should I do Theo's PoV next chapter?