49🕺🏽

Jalen Green

I walk to lunch to see Makenna and Dejuane sitting there eating and talking

"I was like omg I couldn't believe it." I hear Makenna say.

"Hey what's up?" I ask kissing Makenna's cheek.

"Dejuane and I were talking about science. Today we had a group project and I was paired with Dejuane to mix the chemicals. Dejuane knew exactly what to do. I was like okay.. tik toker going crazy." Makenna says laughing.

"Hey... I told you to stop calling me that." Dejuane says pointing his finger at her.

"Okay, tik tok." She shrugs and eats her pasta.

"So y'all have been getting close, huh?" I ask them.

"I mean I guess... I always hang out with him when I'm with Elijah and Tyler." Makenna said hesitantly.

"And we all make tik toks together." Dejuane adds.

"Yeah, because that's all you like to do. You tik toking bitch." Makenna says playfully.

They both laugh while I look at them.

I could tell she noticed I felt some type of way about Dejuane.

Dejuane lightly taps the table and slightly smiles feeling uncomfortable.

"I'm gonna go." He says getting up.

"See ya tonight!" He winks at her walking off.

"You invited him to your birthday dinner?" I ask her.

"Yeah." She says confused.

I sigh in anger.

"I don't get what's up with you and Dejuane." She says just as frustrated as I am.

"He's annoying that's why! I don't think you should be friends with him." I tell her.

"He is not annoying." She says.

"So you're sticking up for him?" I ask her.

"Jalen... you sound so insecure right now." She tells me.

"And you still never answered my question, why did you invite him to your birthday dinner?" I ask her again.

"Because he's my friend that's why... and he's been more of a friend than you have for the past two weeks." She says rolling her eyes packing her stuff.

"Makenna. He's been a good friend because he likes you. He wants to tear us apart." He tells me.

"Yeah, that friend of mine actually remembered my birthday and made me feel good on my day. That's why I invited him." She says standing up.

"Makenna." I sigh out again.

"Don't talk to me." She storms out of the cafeteria.

I sigh and look up to see the boys sitting at the table.

"Woah, where did Makenna go?" Josh asked looking back to see where she went.

"I don't know man. I don't know." I sigh out.

Makenna Bluitt

I pace back and forth in the hallway. I sigh and slide against the lockers and cry.

What's going on with us? We never really fight. I can just feel us drifting apart and I hate it.

I hear a voice from down the hall.

"Makenna?"

I look up to see Dejuane. He sits down and holds me while I cry in his arms.

"It's okay." He says while rubbing my back.

I realize what's happening and push him away.

"What's wrong?" He asks rubbing my arm.

"You shouldn't be here right now." I tell him moving his arm.

"What- why? What did I do?" He asks.

"Nothing... you did nothing. I just don't think you should be here right now." I tell him looking away from him.

"Well I don't want to leave you by yourself and I know that you shouldn't be here sitting by yourself. I wouldn't be a good friend if I left you by yourself." He tells me.

A good friend. That's all he's been to me, but should I be suspicious to that? When he first met me all he did was flirt with me. Now he's just super friendly. I shouldn't be suspicious... right?

He slides down beside me then looks at me.

"What's on your mind?" He asks.

I pause before asking him.

Me asking him this can really mess up my friendship with him and he's a really cool guy.

"You wouldn't do anything to put me and Jalen's relationship in danger would you?" I ask him softly.

"No. Absolutely not. As much as I hate Jalen, I know how much you love him. I can just see that y'all are made for each other. Y'all are perfect for each other. Nobody could ever make you happy like the way Jalen does." He says honestly.

I nod my head and smile.

"Thank you for that. I'm sorry for having to ask that." I tell him.

"It's fine. I understand how much your relationship with Jalen means to you." He says.

It was a comfortable silence.

"So are you ever going to tell me the beef between you and Jalen?" I ask him.

"It's nothing really. It's just a rivalry that's been around since middle school." He tells me.

"Ahh, that's that testosterone talking." I nod my head.

"I can agree with that." He smiles while laughing.