8. Like Old Times

Start from the beginning

Most rogues have an Ill nature towards packs because they committed a crime which got them banished from their original pack, making them a rogue.

They pass this Ill nature down to their children and are loyal to no one but their own.

...

I spend a good ten minutes reading, learning much about the dangers of rogues and why it's important to keep them under control. After a while, I realise my mum isn't coming back any time soon, picking up the book as I decide to take it back to my room and read on the comfort of my bed.

Leaving the study and walking down the hall, I'm just passing the lounge when I hear someone crying.

That sounds like...

I open the lounge door, my mother speaking with Arif intensely while Cammie stands beside him. She's leaning into her father's side, holding herself closely. Her cheeks are puffy and her yellow eyes watery as tears trail down her cheeks, her crying wracking her body.

"Cammie?"

All eyes fall on me when I open the door wider and enter the room, my concern for Cammie growing when she looks at me and all I see is pain and heartbreak.

My eyes snap to my mums angry cobalt blues when she addresses me with a disapproving tone, "Asmara, you know not to interrupt private meetings."

This doesn't seem like any other private meeting to me.

"What's wrong?" I ask Cammie, ignoring my mum unintentionally as I just want to make sure Cammie's okay.

"Just go to your room." My mum insists on wanting me to leave, it's clear something horrible must have happened.

"No, please," Cammie begs, lifting her teary eyes to my mums, "Let her stay."

My mum's eyes soften, a small sigh leaving her lips when she gives in to Cammie's wish, nodding her head. Cammie, relieved, walks towards me and pulls me into a tight hug, resting her chin on my shoulder. I wrap my arms around her, trying my best to comfort her even though I have no idea what's wrong.

After a good few minutes, Cammie finally pulls away to reveal what's happened, "Toby was killed." Her voice cracks, her arms instantly wrapping back around me as sobs wrack her body once again.

I'm in shock, Toby was Cammie's mate, the one she was going to go live with when she turned eighteen. "H-how?" I question softly, not wanting to pressure her.

Arif, knowing it's painful for his daughter to speak the words, does it for her, "We don't know. His parents said that Toby went hiking with two others. When they didn't return, they sent out a search party and found all three with their hearts clawed out."

"Do you suspect Rogues?" My mother wonders, believing rogues are the obvious cause for Toby's death.

Arif doesn't seem so sure, "It's possible but unlikely." My mother narrows her eyes curiously, Arif explaining further, "Alpha Karl said that they haven't experienced any rogue activity in years. There were also no scents to follow, whoever killed them was clearly a professional and based on all rogues aggressive behaviour, I doubt they would have chosen to kill like that."