19. A Breath of Fresh Air

Rebekah stepped out of the venue to get some air. She loved seeing her family but it was hard to be around all of the love when her relationship had fallen apart. She let a few tears roll down her cheeks.

"Bex?" The blonde looked up at the sound of her nickname. Her heart started racing as she felt like she was a part of a romantic comedy. 

"Stef? What the hell are you doing here?" She asked as he walked up beside her. 

"Your parents invited me. I didn't think I'd be able to make it but I got a last-minute flight out here." He explained. "What are you doing out here all alone?"

"I just needed some space." She shrugged, not wanting to admit how lonely she had been before he'd arrived. 

"Should I leave you alone then?" He wondered, not wanting to intrude on her moment. 

"Your company is always welcome Stefan." She assured him. 

"You look beautiful." She blushed at his words. He placed his drink on the ground off to the side. He reached for her glass and gently took it from her hand, placing it next to his. 

"What are you doing?" 

"I'm going to dance with the most beautiful woman here." 

"That's very presumptuous of you. You haven't even asked-" 

"Bekah-" She took his hands and pulled him towards her, laughing. He placed his hands on her waist and she wrapped her arms around his neck. She leaned her head against his shoulder and they swayed to the faded music from inside. 

"I'm sorry," Rebekah mumbled. He pulled back to look at her. 

"For what?" 

"For dragging you into my drama. You deserve a woman who will be able to be with you completely." She sighed. 

"Is this about Marcel?"

"I still haven't broken up with him. We're separated but we haven't actually told each other it's over. I am still technically in a relationship and yet I think I have fallen for you." She confessed, avoiding eye contact in case he rejected her. He raised a hand to her cheek, cupping it gently as his fingers brushed against her hair. 

"I knew what I was getting myself into. I'm not going anywhere, Bex. Whenever you are ready, we will do this for real." Stefan rested his forehead against hers. "Until then, we will stay friends, okay?" Rebekah pressed a soft kiss to his lips and he smiled into it. "Friends don't do that." He chuckled. 

"Maybe you just need better friends." She teased lightly.

"What have you and Caroline been getting up to?" He retorted with a curious look.

"Oh, nothing that you and Klaus haven't done." Rebekah hugged him tightly. "Thank you." 

"Want to go back inside?" She nodded and he grabbed their drinks. She took hers and he led her inside, his hand resting on the small of her back. She pushed away the butterflies in her stomach and returned to the dance floor with her friend. 

The rest of the night was spent drinking and dancing and toasting to the Mikaelsons.