29 House Divided

Elena was shaking as chaos erupted. Bonnie and Caroline grabbed her hands led her out of the crowded room. Kol and Klaus had gone after Katherine. Rebekah and Elijah had followed the girls while the rest of the Mikaelsons tried to keep the peace. 

"I should've known not to trust her." Elena sighed as tears started streaming down her cheeks. "What are we going to do?" Before Caroline or Bonnie could comfort her, they were joined by Rebekah and a very concerned Elijah. He immediately rushed over, kneeling down in front of his fiance.

"Hey, shh look at me." He cupped her cheeks, wiping her tears away with his thumbs. 

"Elijah, I am so sorry." Elena wept. 

"You have nothing to be sorry about, My Love. Your sister is being dealt with, she won't bother you again." Elena wanted to feel reassured by his words but looking at her friends she knew she had to tell him the truth. She looked to Caroline and Bonnie for permission. Both nodded, Bonnie lightly squeezing Elena's shoulder. 

"It's true." Elijah frowned, pulling away from Elena to get a better look at her guilt-ridden face. 

"What?" Elena tried to answer but the words got caught in her throat. "What are you saying?" 

"Everything Katherine was saying is true. Bonnie, Caroline, and I grew up together. Katherine came up to us and asked us to help her in exchange for millions of dollars-" Elijah backed away as if it sickened him to be close to her, which Elena was pretty sure it did. "But we backed out. As soon as I got to know you, I fell in love with you and-" 

"I've heard enough." Elijah spat bitterly. 

"Elijah-" Rebekah began but a harsh glare from her brother stopped her instantly.

"You will leave now. All of you. I shall inform my brothers of the reason for your sudden departure."

"Elijah please-" Elena tried.

"Now." He snapped, his voice rising along with his temper. Elena flinched and Elijah would have felt bad if he wasn't so blinded by rage. 

"Elijah please we have to talk about this." 

"There is no we."

"You said you'd never let Katherine come between us." Elena reminded him and he could not believe the nerve she had. 

"She didn't. You did." Elena had never heard so much venom in his tone, especially with her. Elijah stormed away from them, unable to look at them for another moment. 

"You should go." Rebekah sighed, glancing back to where her brother had just disappeared to. "I'll try to talk to them but Klaus especially will not be happy when he finds out. You should sneak out the back before he has a chance to tell anyone." 

"Rebekah, we are so sorry." Caroline frowned. 

"I know." Rebekah gave them all a sympathetic look before backing away. "I need to go be with my family." 

"I can't believe we just lost everything," Elena mumbled as they piled into Bonnie's car. Three best friends sped away terrified about what awaited them. 

"So, what now?"