Prologue

"What's a handsome man like you doing all alone in a place like this?" She ran her hand down the man's arm. She felt the fabric of his expensive suit and smiled.

"Had a long day at work." He sighed, forcing a smile. He took in the sight of the woman in front of him and found his day seeming much better.

"Maybe I could help you out..." She offered, letting her hands drift across his torso. He groaned at the contact as she bit her lip.

"Can I buy you a drink?" He asked.

"If you make it drinks, you've got yourself a deal." He chuckled at her offer but nodded and waved to the bartender to bring them drinks. "What's your name handsome?"

"Elijah Mikaelson." He introduced. "And you are..."

"Katerina Petrova."

~~~

She played him for months after that. She seduced him easily, now she just needed to get him to fall in love. It wouldn't be hard. Katherine Pierce was irresistible.

"I want you to meet my family." Elijah was extremely smitten with the woman and Katherine was sure she would have a ring by the end of the month.

"Your family?" Usually, the millionaires she seduced were alone, cut off from the family fortune in an attempt to make a name for themselves. The Mikaelsons, however, were the richest family in the country and this was her chance to make billions.

"Yes. My family is having dinner soon and want to know if I'll be bringing someone."

"The whole family seems a little intimidating." She confessed, hoping to find a way out of this situation.

"Then just my brother. Niklaus will be in town, what if we went to dinner with him?" He suggested. "My family is very important to me and if you are going to be in my life for a long time, it is important that they know you."

~~~

She sat at the table with Elijah as they waited for his brother. The man walked in and greeted his brother with a hug. Elijah said brief introductions before stepping out of the way.

"Elijah get away from her." Klaus snarled the moment he laid eyes on the woman with his brother.

"Niklaus-"

"She's lying to you." Elijah stepped back, shocked by his brother's accusation.

"Let's take this outside," Elijah stated as he glanced around the busy restaurant. "What's going on?"

"Katerina Petrova is not her real name. It is Katherine Pierce. She is notorious for marrying rich vulnerable men and stealing half their fortunes." Klaus explained. "Did you ever wonder why Lucien disappeared?" Katherine couldn't help the smirk that formed at the mention of her most successful operation.

"Is this true?" As he turned around to face her, her face fell in a last-ditch attempt to salvage her plan.

"I didn't even know you were rich! I saw you at that bar and thought you were handsome! That person is who I was before I met you! You showed me what real love is!" She forced tears to stream down her face.

"Elijah, she's playing you." Klaus groaned as he pulled up a picture or Lucien and his ex-wife. "That's her, except then her name was Tatia." Elijah couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Elijah, please!" Katherine pleaded.

"Get away from me

"Get away from me." Elijah spat bitterly. "Stay away from me and my family. I never want to see you again."

Katherine backed away and called a cab, formulating a new plan in her head as she went back to her apartment. She was going to make him pay. And she was going to drag his family down with him.