Chapter 33 - Positive

*2 and a half years later*

Nat's POV

"Mummy?" Emma asked as she jumped up onto the couch I was sitting on. She was turning 3 today, and I was about to start getting her ready for the party we were having with the rest of the Avenger's kids. I had invited Clint's kids, Tony and Pepper's daughter Morgan, Sam and Maria's son Alex, Thor and Jane's daughter Mary and Wanda, and Bucky's son Pietro named after her dead twin.

"Yes, honey?" I replied, looking up from the laptop I was working on. She reached out her tiny hand and grabbed my hand. her fingers reached over to play with the diamond ring on my finger.

"What is that?" She asked holding up my finger with the ring on it to show me. She looked up at me with her bright blue eyes. She may be adopted, but she still had the same bright blue eyes Steve has.

"That is what I gave your mummy when she agreed to marry me," Steve answered as he came over the couch and sat on one of the armrests. Emma turned to Steve with wide eyes as he said that and I smiled at the memory.

That day had been the second-best day of my life, second to the actual wedding. I had tearfully said yes to him as all the Avengers watched on, as he slid the ring on my finger and we kissed passionately. The rest of that night was amazing, to say the least.

Many months later we got married in a church, upon Steve's request. It was a beautiful day. I was wearing a big white dress as I walked down the aisle to meet Steve at the end. I had Wanda as my maid of honor and Maria and Pepper as my other bridesmaids. Bucky was Steve's best man with Sam and Tony as the other groomsmen. Lila was a flower girl and Cooper and Nate were the ringbearers. Fury and Clint both got the honors of walking me down the aisle to deliver me to Steve. We said our vows and by the end of it, there wasn't a dry eye in the room.

The reception had also been amazing, complete with a massive cake and lots of dancing. That night couldn't have been more perfect and I was truly grateful for everyone that pitched in to help.

Truth is, I had never imagined ever getting married. I was always taught as I child that I was a heartless monster and the very thought of loving someone or getting married was nothing I was even allowed to consider. Yet I did. I still felt surreal, even after 3 years of living in the same house as Steve and having a family.

I was about to say something about it but I felt my gut start to twist into knots. I suddenly started feeling faint and before I knew it, I was jumping off the couch and running to the bathroom to throw up. Steve rushed in behind me and held my hair back as I threw up.

"Nat, this is the third time this week, I think it is time," Steve said softly as I finished throwing up and he grabbed a cloth to wipe my mouth.

"Time for what?" I rasped, my throat still scratchy from just throwing up. He raised an eyebrow as he responded.

"Time to take a pregnancy test." He said calmly. I choked his comment. There was no point, I was sterilized in the Red Room.

"Steve, you know that I can't be pregnant, there is no way," I said a pang of guilt rising in my chest. I knew he wanted more children as did I, but we couldn't, the fact that we got Emma was miracle enough.

"Humor me?" He said grabbing one out of the cupboard. I rolled my eyes, of course, he had gone to the store and gotten some. Clearly, he had his suspicions for a while. I did decide to marry Captain Prepared after all.

I sighed, grabbing the pregnancy test and shoved him gently out of the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I took the test and then read the instructions on the back. Apparently, I had to wait for two minutes for the test to get results. I placed the test on the counter and set a timer on my phone for two minutes.

I walked out of the bathroom and decided to busy myself with tidying our room. There was no point getting nervous about it, I knew I couldn't have kids, I had scars to prove it. I would only be getting my hopes up to have them shattered. Steve came in when he realized I was finished and helped me tidy the room, whilst we waited.

I heard the timer on my phone go off and I walked into the bathroom confidently as I already knew the answer. I picked up the test and turned around to face Steve who was still in the bedroom.

"See Steve, it says-" I promptly dropped the test on the ground as it had bitten me. Steve ran over and picked up the test that I had just dropped. His eyes widened as he read the result of the test. I burst into tears, as Steve looked up at me.

"I was sterile, Steve I promise!" I said through tears. What had I done? I was sterile, how did this happen? Now Steve was probably going to hate me and then leave us all. Steve surprisingly pulled me into a hug.

"Hey Nat, it's ok. I'm happy about it. Do you think that I love Emma?" He asked. I wasn't sure where he was going with this, but I nodded my head anyway.

"And I am going to love this child just as much. Planned or not," he said reassuringly, a massive smile spread onto his face.

"We are having a baby," I said in disbelief. He nodded and then kissed me passionately. I smiled back at him as we parted. It was actually happening. I had always wanted a bigger family as did he, but we had both accepted that it couldn't happen. Emma came bouncing into the room but stopped and frowned at both of us.

"Why are you crying mummy?" She asked. I smiled down at her and wiped away my tears. I crouched down to her level and held both her hands.

"Well honey, do you remember what your wish has always been for your birthday?" I asked her, deciding that we may as well tell her now.

"My wish was to have a brother or sister." She said confidently. It was true, she had asked every birthday for a brother or sister and I had always tearfully told her that it wasn't going to happen. But she had always persisted anyway.

"Well, how would you feel if I told you that your wish came true?" I asked her gently and she smiled at me.

"Really! Where is it?" She exclaimed and I laughed at her antics. I pulled one of her hands that I was holding and placed it on my stomach.

"It's in here. You will meet your brother or sister in 9 months." I said, fresh tears flowing down my face. She looked at my stomach with wonder. She put her hands around my neck and hugged me tight as I stood up with her in my arms. Steve walked over to us with a big smile and wrapped us all into a group hug.

Our little family was about to get one bigger, regardless of whether we were ready or not.