Chapter 16 - What are we?

*Previously* Nat's POV

I pulled my head off of his shoulder and stared deep into his ocean blue eyes. He is so perfect, too perfect in fact. I could not find a single thing I didn't like about him, he was absolutely perfect in every single way. Maybe this is what it is like to love someone?

I felt a sudden pull towards him like he was a magnet drawing me in and I inched my head closer to his until...

*Currently*

Our lips connected with each other, both of our lips moving in perfect sync. Everything about the kiss was perfect, just like him. After a minute or so we both parted gasping for air, our foreheads touching as we stared deeply into each other's eyes.

This time he leaned in and we kissed again, this one more passionate than the last, making it even more enjoyable. When we pulled away, I smiled a smile of pure joy. So this is what it is like to love someone. To kiss them and have it mean something to you. Wow, if this is what love is then I could get used to it.

I pulled my eyes away from his and looked up at the moon before looking back at him. I took his hand gently, intertwining our fingers, and guided him towards a blanket that was stretched out along the sand surrounded by candles. We both laid down beside each other, not removing our hands from each other.

"What are we?" Steve asked breaking the content silence that fell between us. I looked at him, my eyes searching his.

"What do you want us to be?" I asked curiously. I may have decided that I loved him but I had no idea how he felt about me. If the kiss was anything to go by then I think he felt something towards me but I wanted to know for sure.

"Well, I think you are the most amazing person I have ever met. I don't know how you feel, but I think over the last few months I have been slowly falling for you and I really like where this is going. I guess what I'm trying to say, Nat, is that I like you a lot and was wondering if-if you wanted to be my girlfriend?" He asked growing quiet as if terrified that I am going to reject him.

"I like you too and I would love to have the honor of being your girlfriend." I smiled back at him and I watched all of the tension that was in his body a few moments ago completely leave him.

He grabbed me and pulled me on top of him as we resumed our kissing session. I actually have a boyfriend! One that I actually care about a lot. One that I could even see myself settling down with. A partner for life. I can't wait to see where this relationship goes.

I guess the remainder of this mission will also be a lot less awkward now that we were actually a couple. How did I get so lucky to have him? What did I possibly do to ever deserve him? I have absolutely no idea but I am going to cherish him and what we have for as long as I can. Forever even.

We broke apart and hugged each other tightly looking up at the stars that dusted the sky. I just want to stay like this in his safe arms forever.

Steve's POV

I just kissed no- made out with NATASHA ROMANOFF! I have no idea where I managed to gather the confidence to do it but it felt amazing. The only thing that felt more amazing was learning that Natasha actually likes me back.

As if my day couldn't get any better, I was currently laying with Nat on a blanket on a private beach under the moonlight. If this isn't the most perfect thing in the world then I don't know what is.

No matter what she says or feels about herself, the way I see her, she is the most amazing woman in the world. She is so different from everyone else. She is probably the strongest person I have ever met. To come from the past she has come from and become an absolutely stunning woman is beyond anything I have ever seen before.

Yet she has a vulnerable and sensitive side which makes me love her even more. I feel like she and I belong together. Like the last 2 puzzle pieces of our lives that are finally slotting into place perfectly in the picture of eternal happiness.

There is not a single thing that I would change about tonight. Everything from the woman I am with, to the venue is perfect in every way and I never wanted to leave this place.

I felt Natasha get a little heavier on my chest and her breathing become deeper. I looked down and realized she had fallen asleep in my arms under the stars. I slowly felt my eyelids become heavier and I let them fall closed as I too, drifted off into a deep sleep.