Chapter 8 - Journey

Nat couldn't believe her bad luck lately. First, she'd failed a mission and been humiliated for it, and now she had to go undercover as a married couple with the man she least wanted to see right now, let alone be in the same room for a month. She already knew that this was going to be one of the longest months of her life. 

Sighing, she began packing her bags, with military precision that had her ready to go in 5 minutes flat. 

Turning, she grabbed her second suitcase that contained her weapons, flash drives, computers, and some other spy tech, placing both bags by the door as Nat decided to head out to the Common Room. She'd been avoiding everyone all week, but after tomorrow, she wouldn't be seeing them for a month, so she figured she might as well make the most of her last afternoon with them before she went. 

Upon arriving at the Common Room, she found Tony and Clint on the couch watching The Bachelorette and talking. Upon her entry they fell into silence, gawking at her. 

"Why are you so shocked?" Nat asked bluntly, deciding their overdramatic actions were bordering on ridiculous. She'd been a little distant for a week not a year like they were acting. 

"Uh hey, long time no see," Tony broke the silence, first to get over his initial shock. Well, at least Tony hasn't changed, Nat thought as she rolled her eyes in response, crossing the room to join them on the couch.

"Sooooo Red, you've emerged from your lair. Why?" Tony asked. Nat took a sip of water before answering with the most emotionless tone she could muster to avoid Tony inevitably getting the wrong idea.

"Well, I'm leaving tomorrow on a month-long mission," Natasha told them as confidently as she could. 

"Yeah, and I'll be with her," Steve called from the Common Room entrance, startling them. What was it with him sneaking up on her today? Nat realised she must've subconsciously rolled her eyes because Clint raised his eyebrows and gave her an inquisitive look.

"Yeah," Natasha confirmed quietly as she got up and made her way back toward the elevator. Clint also stood up and followed his friend. Once in the secluded elevator, Clint spoke up;

"So are you ok being with Cap for a whole month?" He asked quietly.

"What choice do I have" Nat replied tiredly, already sick of the conversation. Clint sighed, telling her that he was only one call away if she needed anything, before jumping off the elevator at his floor.

Taking a steadying breath as the doors closed again, Natasha repeated the phrase that was quickly becoming her new mantra; it was going to be a long month.

**********************

For Steve, since he'd packed his bags, he'd also decided to go to the Common Room to let the others know of his imminent departure. Upon his arrival, he'd been taken aback to find Nat already talking to Tony and Clint. No one had really seen Nat in a week and now she was in the Common Room talking to everyone like nothing happened. 

That was until she realised that he had walked into the room, and as quick as anything, she'd fleed the room once more without another word.

"You've gotta sort that out man," Tony said nonchalantly as they both watched the elevator doors close on his two other friends before Tony turned back to the TV and continued his Bachelorette marathon.

Steve just wanted to make things right with Natasha, but at the moment he couldn't even manage to get her in the same room as him. Steve instead resolved to talk to her on their mission, because not being able to talk and banter with her like they normally did was killing him. 

*********************

Steve's alarm went off at 4:30, waking him up. He needed to be in the jet in half an hour, so he quickly got out of bed and took a shower, not wanting to add lateness to the list of things he needed to apologise to Nat for.

Exiting the elevator at the roof, he spotted Nat standing beside Fury, receiving her last instructions before take-off. Rushing over, Steve loaded his bags before joining Natasha and Fury's conversation. 

"Ah Cap, are you ready?" Fury asked.

"Yes sir" Steve replied in his most formal voice. He considered Fury a friend, but that didn't mean that this wasn't a mission, and regardless of Steve's status with Fury, he always would remain strictly professional with Fury when it came to missions. 

"Well then, you both better board the jet. Good luck and I hope you both remember my directions?" Fury asked glancing quickly at Steve in particular for confirmation.

As much as Fury may deny it, Natasha is the closest thing he has to a daughter and he, the closest thing Nat has to a father, so Steve understood why it was such a priority of Fury's for her to have a holiday. 

Both nodding, they turned and boarded the plane, sending one last nod to Fury as the back of the jet closed. 

Buckling up for take-off, Steve heard the engines start up and the jet lurch forward, taking off from the roof of the Avenger's tower. The plane was on autopilot which meant that both agents just had to be good passengers and they would get there safely.

As soon as the plane stabilised in the air, FRIDAY told the agents that it was now safe to unbuckle their seatbelts. Natasha sprung out of her chair and went to the back of the jet, the farthest possible place from Steve. Sighing, Steve decided to call out to her.

"Are you going to avoid me like this all month?" Steve asked her.

"I don't know what you mean Rogers, I just have something to do over here." She replied in an innocent tone.

"Yeah ok, I'm sure you have something to do. I mean that wall does look pretty interesting." Steve sarcastically replied, getting out of his own seat and heading toward her. Once he made it over to her, Natasha turned to face him, her arms crossed over her chest. 

"Look Nat, I'm so sorry about the other day. I let my emotions get the best of me and I took it too far. I know you probably hate me right now but I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am. I do think you can care for yourself, it just scared me when I came in and you were being so harsh on yourself after some pretty gruelling injuries. But yeah, I'm really sorry" Steve apologized looking into Nat's eyes to show her how truly sorry he was. Her expression softened, 

"I'm sorry too, I'm sure I scared you, I can see it in your expressions. It's just, I have had to be independent and take care of myself all of my life just to stay alive, so when someone puts that into question, it really hurts. But I did overreact and for that, I am sorry too." She replied. Well, this is going so much better than Steve thought it would.

Smiling, Steve opened his arms to her, "Woah up Rogers, we are not there yet," Natasha exclaimed trying to keep her expression as serious as possible when she watched Steve's face fall. But she was failing miserably, cracking a smile within a few tense moments and falling into Steve's embrace. Yeah, they both definitely missed this.

"But I will personally end you if you let anyone know I'm a hugger," Natasha whispered into his chest, causing Steve to laugh wholeheartedly. 

"Noted," He chuckled.

Maybe this month won't be as long as they originally thought.