✾ Flowers of Love ✾ (Milly x Elliot)

Start from the beginning

"Merci, grand-mère." 

++++

Crunch.... Crunch....

Elliot shivered. Perhaps it wasn't a good idea after all to go wandering in the dead of the night, trying to deliver a love letter. Especially when it was the middle of winter, with puddles of slush blocking his way, and ice glittering on the sidewalks. It was snowing heavily, with flurries fluttering in the icy wind, landing on his eyelashes. He blinked them out and squinted.

Almost there... Just a few blocks ahead...

He grit his teeth, determined to get to his destination.

"HEY!"

A loud, commanding voice made him freeze in his tracks. Suddenly, two shadows were looming over him, and a low, sneering voice made his heart lurch.

"Where exactly do you think you're going?"

He knew exactly who the two were.

"D...Damien! Asher! W-what a surprise to see -"

"Answer us, you idiot!" the man named Asher grabbed Elliot by the neck, and he gasped. The sealed envelope in his hands dropped and landed on the slippery ice.

"You haven't paid us in two weeks! We've been waiting for ages! WHAT DID WE SAY WOULD HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU DIDN'T PAY UP?!" Damien yelled.

"P-Please! I've been meaning to! It's just... My family's running low on money lately! My mother's flower shop isn't doing the best lately due to the cruel winter and -"

"We don't want to hear your pathetic excuses," Asher spat in his face, and Elliot flinched.

"L-Let me go! P-please, I -"

"We don't give a crap, you little freak," Damien stepped closer, his lower lip curling into an ugly snarl. Elliot could count the number of pimples he had on his face. "You knew exactly what would happen if you wouldn't give up the money."

The hand around Elliot's throat tightened, and he desperately gasped for air, but he only lost more. Damien and Asher were twice the size of Elliot, and they were no match for him. 

"P-PLEASE!"

But before he could say another word, he was thrown down by the two thugs, and his head hit the hard cement with a thud.

Splatter!  Blood spurted everywhere, and agony raced through his whole body. Everywhere, it grew more and more painful as they kicked up his body until it was no more. The last thought that rang out in his mind was Milly, and then everything went black.

++++

"Milly, come back!"

"LET ME SEE HIM!" she cried. She fought desperately against her mother and father's grip. "LET ME GO! I WANT TO SEE HIM!"

She was half crying, half screaming, heart yearning for Elliot. Her parents had just informed her that he was in the hospital due to very serious injuries. Apparently he was found by a nearby local in the morning lying unconscious.

"Millicent, control yourself!" Her mother and father were too experienced with Milly's frequent fights. But this was different, and she didn't give up.

"NO! LET ME GO!" she screamed. The hospital secretary gave her a nervous look, and all around the waiting room, people stared at her.

Just as her father was about to say something else, Milly wrenched their hands away from her and sprinted to the corridor where Elliot's room was.

"MILLICENT, COME BACK THIS INSTANT."

She didn't care as the doctors and nurses yelled at her, and tears ran down her face like small waterfalls as she burst into the room, chest heaving.

"Where..." she gasped, looking around, and then her eyes fell upon the bed. The sight made her heart thump wildly.

"Elliot..." Milly gasped, choking on tears. His body was barely visible from the tubes and bandages wrapped around him, and the monitor showing his heartbeat made her want to scream.

"Miss, you aren't allowed here!" a nurse caught her by the wrist.

"He's not going to die... Is he?" Milly ignored the nurse, and looked her in the eye. "Don't tell me he is." 

The young woman's expression softened, and a look of sorrow dawned to her face. Milly's stomach churned.

"I'm sorry to say ma'am... But there's barely anything we can do. He's been hurt very badly, and his chance of dying is extremely -"

She didn't hear any more, and instead rushed to his bedside. Elliot's pale hand was dangling from the bed, and she clasped it gently. It was as hard and cold as ice.

"No... Don't leave me," Milly murmured. She had stopped crying, but still, there were tears in her eyes, and she buried her face against his hand. Teardrops wet the sheets. "I didn't even get to tell you..."

Her heart ached desperately. He had to be alive. He needed to. Where was the soft gardener boy that she had grown to love? Surely it couldn't be him right here... dying... Perhaps it was all just a freakish dream, and she'd wake up from the nightmare.

But Milly knew it was real as she looked at the closed eyes of the pink haired boy. She intertwined her fingers around his.

"Miss..."

"Please don't tell me anything right now."

"I'm sorry, miss, but the local that reported him found a letter by his side," Milly turned to find the nurse waving a pink envelope around. "Is your name, by any chance... Milly?"

"Yes," Milly swallowed.

"Well then, I think this is for you. It has your name on it."

The letter was handed to her, and she opened it with shaking hands. She could barely read it, for her whole body was shaking, and teardrops were smudging the words. 

Dear Milly,

This is a letter to you that I hope you'll get, because I have something really important I want you to know.

It's something I've been holding back for a while now, and pretty much nobody knows this. But I'll say that from the moment I saw you, I knew you were special. And I was right. As we grew closer, I found that you were such an amazing person. Even though everyone says otherwise... I personally found something that I really loved deep inside you. That's what I want to say. I love you, Milly.

I hope you feel the same way. I really do. No words can describe my affection to you. Did you see the orchids this morning? They're beautiful, aren't they? Just like our love if you can accept my feelings. It all starts with a seed. And then, bam! A full, gorgeous flower. Love can be so beautiful, and I want to experience that!

Love from yours truly,

Elliot

Beep.

Milly looked up, and her heart froze. Up on the monitor, it read that Elliot's heartbeat had stopped.

Dead.
She couldn't take it anymore, as the tsunami of tears began to come again. Her heart felt pierced before by the sharpest of glass, but now, it had completely shattered.

He loved her.

And it was too late for her to return her feelings.

Dead. He was dead. The flower of love that Elliot had so desperately wanted to blossom was gone. All hope was gone. Everything inside Milly left her as she stared at the tear stained love letter.