Investigations

I slowly put down the letter, taking in the onslaught of information I was just given.

"Maria! May! Christian! "

"Yes, mistress?" they say in unison.

I gave Edward back the letter and sighed.

"I will be going on a business trip for many days and possibly weeks. You will take care of the manor and if you follow these orders, you shall be rewarded when I return."

"Yes, Mistress." they bowed and curtsied.

I look over to my maid, gardener, and cook and shook my head lightly and smiled. How I was able to find such capable and loyal servants... I'm truly lucky.

"Edward?"

"What can I do for you, my lady?" he asked.

"Find out more information about her majesty's dog... I have no doubt he'll be doing the same when he learns of this."

He smiled and handed me a roll of parchment, clasping my hand sweetly as he did so.

I smirked and took it, "Of course you already have, my dear butler."

"Yes, My love." He whispered. "Forgive me for being so bold... How on earth do a swan and a dog get along?"

I chuckled. "Hospitality Edward... Hospitality"

I opened the parchment and read aloud, "The Queen's guard dog. Ciel Phantomhive, the only living heir to the Funtom toymaker companies. Parents died due to their entire mansion being burnt down. Ciel disappeared for a year then returned suddenly as the Queen's guard dog, whose very name can strike fear in the hearts of any enemy of the queen"

I rolled it back with an inhale and handed it to Edward, "Well then!"

I stand up and walk up to the center of the room and giggle softly, "He sounds interesting..."

"My young mistress? "

"Yes?"

"Did you take notice of how similar your pasts are?"

My eyes grew dark, "Indeed...but I doubt that he escaped such a place as I...I was the only lucky one... Thanks to you..."

"You flatter me... truly."

Ciel's point of view:

I sat at the dining table eating a fresh fruit tart that, that damn butler made. I sipped my tea hardly satisfied.

"Sebastian!"

"Yes, My lord?"

I sighed, "I will be in my study. Be sure for no one to disturb me except for you or emergencies."

"Very well then, my lord" He bowed and began cleaning the dining room.

I walked down the corridor to my study and sat in my chair. I have loads of paperwork to do, yet surprisingly I wasn't that upset, I was actually kind of glad there was something to keep me busy. I grabbed my quill and began to sign and respond to paperwork and letters. Sifting through them all, I groaned at yet another letter from Elizabeth.

"My Dear Fiancée,

Hello Ciel darling! You haven't been answering my letters so I assume you on a business trip. Whenever you get back, I'll go visit and we dress up in our cutest clothes and go on a lovely boat ride! Oh, I'm so excited just thinking about it!! Be safe my darling!

With full-hearted love,

Lizzy <3"

I sighed in annoyance. I really should break off this engagement soon, or she's going to drive me to madness before Sebastian gets to consume my soul-

" Young Master?" a knock came from the door.

"Enter." I sighed and tossed Elizabeth's letter into the wastebasket. It landed on the other twenty-six letters she's sent this week.

Sebastian came in with a tray, "A letter came in for you, sir."

I groaned, "Not another letter from Elizabeth!" I picked up the letter, and began to turn it around, "I'm going to break off this bloody engagement the next time I see her-"

I stopped talking because the wax sealing the paper wasn't the stupid pink wax the reeked of cherries.. it was the dark red wax with a seal of royalty.

"It's from her Majesty," I said surprised.

"Dear Beloved Guard Dog,

I do hope you are well. I'm writing to invite you to a charity ball that I am hosting for the orphans of London. There is more to be spoken about, but I will allow those details to be given at next week's Midnight Gala.  This mission is a difficult one, so you will be working with my swan on this case. I wish you well.

Her Majesty the Queen."

I put the letter down and stared at it. "The Queen's Swan?"

Sebastian pulled out a piece of parchment from his pocket. "The Queen's Swan. (Y/n) Rosewood, the only living heir to the Rosewood jewelry and Lovemenot toymaker companies. Parents died in murder, were stabbed to death then their entire mansion was burnt down. (y/n) disappeared for two years then returned suddenly as the Queen's dark swan, who's beauty and voice can bring any enemy to distress." Sebastian rolled up the scroll and smiled.

I glared. "You already knew."

He shook his head, "I had noticed you being quite restless, so I did some investigating and come to find another cop is patrolling the underworld for you. But when the letter said that Miss Rosewood would be attending, I find it's rather astoundingly convenient."

I glared at him and his cocky attitude. "Quite an interesting summary of this lady."

He nodded, "I come to realize that it's similar to your past sir, and if I no be so bold to say.. a swan is more interesting than a dog merely because I hate dogs."

I glared at him and leaned back into my chair crossing my legs. "Woof."