The Letter

~1 year later~

"Milady... it's time to wake up." Edward mumbled and the sound of sharp grating fabric pierced the air as he drew the curtains back. I slowly opened my eyes and winced as the bright sunlight hit my eyes; groaning I slowly sat up, yawning softly.

"Ah, Good morning, Milady"

"Good Morning, Edward." I swung my long, dainty legs over the edge of my bed and my nightgown swished by my knees. I stared straight ahead at the wall, my mental state still not in 'awake' mode, and took another loud and obnoxious yawn while Edward served my morning tea.

"For breakfast this morning, we have a fruit salad with mint, fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Along with a lightly grilled salmon."

I nodded and raised the pale purple teacup to my mouth, the aroma making my eyes flutter against the steam. "Lady Grey?'

"Indeed, it was brought in from Pamperlily this early morning."

I sipped it and felt warmth rush through my body, settling peacefully in my stomach. I placed the cup back down, "Send in Maria, I will change and meet you in the dining hall."

He placed my family ring on my right ring finger. It was a large ruby with a gold band with silver diamonds that embedded the side.

He then bowed, "Yes, My lady"

He walked out and only a moment later a girl with short blond hair and green eyes walked in briskly. She was a head taller than me, with thick-rimmed green glasses sitting dutifully on her nose. She curtsied, "Good morning, milady"

I nodded slowly, "Good morning, Maria."

She helped me into a black and green gown, the skirt of which grazing the floor but only just barely. The bodice was laced in the front and it covered my contract sign well. I slipped into the hallway after Maria had adjusted my shoes, the little heels clicking against the cooler marbled floors of my estate.

The walk down the corridor and into the dining room was short despite my sluggish speed, and Edward was standing by my chair holding a tray. I sat and picked up my fork, taking a bite into the salmon.

"A letter for you, My mistress." he leaned the tray down and I picked up the letter absentmindedly, not wanting to deal with politics so early in the afternoon, and I made my opinion known as I finished off my salmon.

"I agree, My lady. However, I do believe that you'll want to read this one in a hurried manner."

I rolled my eyes and put my fork down with an annoyed hiss. "Edward dear, What time was I up to last night?"

I heard him sigh before responding, "My Lady, you were up until 3 am last night, filing away your income and professional matters."

I hummed, spearing a piece of fruit with my fork. "And what time did you wake me up this morning?"

Edward paused for a moment, "I awoke you at 7:30."

I grabbed the letter, still looking at Edward, "Right. So please bear with me if I'm-"

My eyes landed on the creme crisp envelope before nearly choking on a blueberry. Edward quickly held a glass of water to my lips and I downed the drink quickly. After catching my breath, I picked up the letter, running my fingers across the fine quality parchment used.

"Ah, a letter from Her Majesty," I said softly, my throat still burning a bit. I broke the seal and pulled out the letter.

"Dear My Lovely Swan,

I do hope you are well, we haven't spoken in quite some time. I'm writing to invite you to a charity ball that I am hosting for the orphans of London. I know how fond you are of them, so it only made sense in my mind to have you attend. There is more to be spoken about, but I will allow those details to be given at next week's Midnight Gala. This mission is a difficult one, so you will be working with my guard dog in this case.

I wish you well.

Her Majesty the Queen."