The Contract

The floor of the dungeon was cold and damp, the feeling had sunken deep into my bones, making me feel heavier than I knew I was. The only light source was the few flickering candles in the hallways outside the bars, just enough to give slight clarity, but not nearly enough to provide warmth. 

A thump pounded through my head, memories of screaming and overbearing heat singing my head, and an excruciating sob tore itself out of my throat. 

~Flashback~

Flames licked my bare feet as they dashed down the carpeted hallways. The velvet curtains that were once fun hiding places were now waterfalls of yellow and orange. My hand was to my mouth, trying not to breathe in the harsh smoke that threatened to gag me. 

My parent's bedroom was so close, and with the help of the adrenaline in my veins, I managed to burst through the door, after the first attempt of grabbing the handle burned my skin. "Father!" I coughed when I took an inhale of smoke. "Mother! We must leave! The mansion is on fire!"

I rushed over to their bed, grabbing the blanket and pulling it up, "Father! Mother!"

However, I didn't find my parents... only their corpses. I wept over them and screamed in agony.  Their corpses were shredded, my mother's gown mixed with strips of her skin, and my eyes went wide when I noticed my father didn't have his. Their blood had completely soaked the silk sheets, deep red almost black and the irony smell cause my mouth to water from the bile rising in my throat. 

They had been massacred. 

"GET THEIR BLOODY BRAT!! OUR EMPLOYER DEMANDS HER!!"

I had frozen like a fool, neither my fight nor flight sense kicking in until a group of large and brutish men had busted in through the doors. I had dived under my parent's bed, scrambling away from the men's grubby hands. I pulled my nightgown over my mouth so I didn't inhale anymore smoke, although my eyes burned from it. 

"Get over here you BRAT." The man spits at me, and I scrambled the other way, narrowly escaping the arms of another. 

I don't ever recall running so quickly in my life, I ran down the hallway, the carpet slipping under my feet and my chest wheezing painfully from the lack of breathable oxygen. I was grabbed from behind and hoisted into the air, I screamed and kicked with all of my might, making contact with my captor's stomach. 

"You BITCH." He threw me off of him and I hit the wall with a sickening crack. My eyesight was blurry, and I could only lay there limp as the guy punched me and my vision went black.

~Flashback end~

That was a year ago, and here I am now with a black market trade seal on my back and lying in a pool of my own blood, dirt, and sweat from months of being unable to bathe. It wasn't like I was going to die... The guarding officers told me no one was to kill me unless they wanted a brutal death wish themselves. The words didn't provide me any comfort. In fact, it made me disgusted. 

My life was worth more than death but still not enough to treat correctly, or at the very least to be given daily meals and water. To make matters worse, no one knew the 'Boss' as they called them. The orders that were meant to be followed are sent in letters and if they weren't completed... Let's just say there are a lot fewer guards in this prison then there was when I first arrived.

I growled, "Bloody idiots, I'll show them one day. I'll kill every last one of you."

It was a very vulgar wish, to want to take not just one but multiple lives because of the harm they caused you. It felt as hot and heavy as tar, threatening to choke on it as you hold onto those selfish desires.