01 - Charmer - Channing Winstead

It might not be usual that I love my Monday morning class as much as this. I always come ten minutes early. This genetics class is challenging and my professor is really cool. Despite how much I love it, I can't just sit still in peace when a friend just reminds me about an emergency.

"I gotta bail!" I whisper but loud kind of whisper.

Eleanor snaps her head to the left where I stand quite close to her. She rolls her eyes at me. "Why do you even come all the way down here? Aha you just want to see me because you can't start your day without seeing me first thing in the morning."

I let out a long and heavy sigh. "I love you too. No it's just that Samantha just reminds me about individual essay and presentation on my chemistry class after lunch and-"

"You forget it all. I get it so now go!" Eleanor pushes me. "Before professor Adair comes."

I slap her arm. "Not nothing at all. I fell asleep last night while working on that. There's just much to prepare so I need all the hours I have left. And calm Eleanor, Samantha said her father might come a bit late. See you later, honey."

As I walk to the front I'm met with Samantha who's not alone now. My eyes just can't ignore the scene right in front of me. It irks me to see them. How can they do that at the front row of the class?

"Hey Samantha! It's your father's class, in case your forget that." I say as I pass by. She breaks the kiss, using her hands on his chest to give space between her and the guy who surprisingly seems familiar but not. I don't know. I'm not quite sure but he keeps smiling at me like he's showing off his charms.

That guy answers instead. "I'd make her father proud. His little girl has grown up." The way he smiles at the end of his word is just palpable.

I just chuckle nervously. I shouldn't do this but my eyes are just curious to scan what's laid out before me. I never knew Samantha is in relationship but I know enough now these aren't just friends. Friends don't grab your butt or kiss you as if they've glued their lips together.

"You're very welcome, Winstead. I'll see you in chemistry." Samantha taps my shoulder. I'm not comfortable getting between them so I hurriedly go.

Library is where I'll go. Thanks goodness for the existence of such heavenly place called library where I can go to whenever I feel like being alone and in peace, besides I need it to look for some references.

I stop only few steps out of the class. Someone calls me by last name. "Hey Winstead." I turn around and there I see that guy who enjoyed making out with my friend at the front row. He has no shame and so much confident that's shining on every part of him.

"Who are you to call me like that?" I turn back and keep walking while I feel like he's following me.

He catches up on me. "I'm Chace Al-"

"I don't care." I cut it before he finishes his name. "I'd really appreciate it if you keep you exhibit your charms anywhere else but near me. I really need to be alone right now."

I hear him laughing. "Where's the calm, Winstead? We just happen to walk through the same path and no harm I promise."

"First of all, stop calling my last name." I pause. "Second, this hallway is wide enough for us to walk in decent space. Move aside!" I shove his arms because he stands too close next to me. His arm almost touches mine.

He moves aside but I guess he can't seem to understand the need of personal space. This guy is with Samantha yet he's violating personal space with another girl. And I think that he's trying to flirt with me.

"You bailed on your class. Let me be a good guy and stop you from that. Professor Adair just came a minute ago you can go back now."

I hear one chime from my phone and I see a message from Eleanor. 'saw Chace had his eyes on you. FYI, He's a charmer.' I keep on my mind not to let his charms get to me.

"What's your problem? Don't you have anything to do other? I can mind my own business, can't you do that for yours?"

I mutter when I get out of the building only to find the weather gets worse. There's snow covering everything in sight: the ground, trees, and buildings. It wasn't this bad this morning when I went for my class. I should like it. I usually do, but not like this. It's a little too snowy. The problem with them is the melting snow on the ground. Maybe it would be more fun if all of it is melted.

"Look it's still snowing." I hear him mutter but he sounds so happy. He must be loving snow. "I usually help in the writing center. I can help you since I still have time before my next class."

I check my watch which I put in my jacket pocket to see how much time I've left. I speed up a bit, being careful of the melting snow on the path, which could lead to me slipping again like my last two winters at UMASS Boston.

I reply without looking at him. "I'm better off without you. And writing is my forte so I certainly don't need anyone to check on my essay."

He snorts. "Oh sweetheart your confidence is interesting."

I'm about to snap at him but I feel my right foot step on the slippery surface. At this very moment, I know I'm doomed. I will fall again, just as I promised myself I wouldn't do. I close my eyes and brace for the impact, but it never comes.

Instead I feel a hand, a strong and steady hand, grabs my waist. Another hand grabs my arm. Chace. I'm so sure he can hold us steady, but he loses his balance as well. He must've slipped on the layer of icy slush too. I can feel myself pulled and because of that I'm sure I'll fall at different side of my body.

Normally I would've hit the ground on my back, but because he's still holding my arm and waist, I'll fall face first. I close my eyes, too afraid to face the ground. Suddenly, my face connects with something, yet I don't feel any pain. Instead I feel my body bump on solid, hard surface. It doesn't feel like hard ground. There's no pain and no sore feelings. It feels comfortable even.

I open my eyes at the sound of his deep voice, "It seems to me that you enjoy being on top of me, love!"

My face is on his chest. I look up and find myself staring at his deep blue eyes and feel myself drowning in them. I've never known human eyes could do be paralyzing, not until my eyes met his gaze. Eleanor's words ring in my ears he's a charmer. Damn his eyes which make me almost fall for his charms.

"Oh, sorry." I get up on my feet.

He soon gets up and grabs my arm when I'm about to fall again due to my evident clumsiness. While his hand still holds my arm, he says to me, "Be careful, Winstead." I can feel his strong muscle holding me tight, yet somehow, he remains relaxed. And again he calls me Winstead as if I haven't been very clear about that.

"It's your fault." I hit his chest as he's still standing so close to me. "If you're not following me, I'd slip and fall."

Quirking his eyebrows, he pouts. "Is it that hard to just say a thank you? I took the fall for you!" slowly without I realize, his face is this close with mine. I can feel his cool breath fans on my face. "Well, nice talking to you, Winstead. But don't expect me to be this easy to let you slip out of my hands when fate gives us a second chance."

As he pulls his face away from mine, I can finally let out a sigh that I've been holding. He smirks playfully at me before he walks away. I just stand there, waiting, until he's far enough out of my sight.

*****

Ps. I rewrite this chapter.  This is different from the old version and I like the new version better.  Please tell me what you think about this.  Don't forget to vote, comment and share.

What do you think about Channing Winstead Introduction? And how about a little intro of Chace?

Cheers, Anjaa