Ch.5: Bad Blood.

Song: Control - Halsey.

She finishes wrapping the bandage around his body “You told me while I was suturing you”

“Seriously? I don’t remember…”

“You were under the effect of the Poppy, it’s normal that you don’t remember”

“Heh, it seems that I can’t keep secrets from you”

“Yeah” she throws the old bandage into a box “Keep resting, please”

He lays down and holds her hand “Why don’t you lay with me? Like we used to nap together when we were little”

“We have more responsibilities now” she caresses his head.

He closes his eyes as he feels her gentle touch on his head “Once we are married we are going to spend more time together”

“Of course” she looks at the window.

After some minutes he falls sleep and the princess stands up to leave.

It’s not like she hated him but she didn’t love him either and it wasn’t her fault, she couldn’t just love him because he’s nice with her. Being a princess doesn’t allow you to marry someone for love like the fairytales, being a princess means marrying someone due his status or power and since she is the princess of the most powerful kingdom, she can skip the part of marrying one spoiled, bratty prince. She can choose one of the Raven Guards but she hated every guard, except her childhood friend.

Walking down the halls, she feels that someone was watching her, turning around she sees her older brother Robert looking at her with a creepy smile. Once she acknowledged him, he walks away.
He was planning something, and she had a bad feeling about it.

○●○●○●

While her horse was running on the tall grass she sees a group of masked men standing in front of the gate that separate the Emerald Woods with the Somber Woods. One of the men takes out a bow with an arrow and shoot directly at her.

She stops her horse abruptly and turns to the side to avoid the arrow. When she sees the archer grab another arrow, she hops off her horse and pushes him away “Run back, Sable!”

The horse quickly turns back and start running towards the castle, the group look at the woman as the archer puts down his bow.

“Well, well, well” a masked person walks in front of the group “Don’t you think that you are a little far away from home, princess?”

She frowns “I do not have to give any kind of explanations to you”

“Oh~ But I will have to explain this to the king” he takes his mask off revealing his face.

In front of the princess, stands Robert Alexandre the Third.

“How else do I explain to the king that I found the Seventh’s lifeless body on The Woods?”

“Hey, isn’t she a healer?” one of the mercenary says.

“Right” Robert thinks “You had a bag with plants with you when I found your dead body”

She glares at the man in front of her and sighs “Robert, I do not wish to kill you… but I have to ask… Will you go after Thomas once I’m gone?”

Robert smirks “How else I’m supposed to become king if I don’t get rid of the worst pest of the castle?”

“I see” she takes her sword out getting on a fighting position with one hand behind her back “That will make it easier for me”

“Do as you please” Robert talks to the mercenaries as they charge towards the woman.

She quickly turns around to blocks the attack from someone coming from behind and stabs him on his chest.
Taking a step back, the man falls limply on the ground. Studying the human body was also beneficious for a fight, she knew where to stab her enemies.

They were attacking in group, she barely had time to strike back as she was blocking all the attacks.

Her brother was watching everything from the side, he tells himself that he won’t fight her since he didn’t want to fight his own sister, but in reality, he didn’t want to die. He sees how her sister killed with only one slide or one stab the mercenaries that let their guard down, luckily enough, she was outnumbered and he could notice that she was getting tired.

One of the mercenaries manages to takes her sword off her hand but before he could stab her, she takes her dagger out with her other hand and slice his throat taking a step back.

There was still many enemies in front of her, she knew that she could take them out but if she had to fight her brother she might lose, he wasn’t as tired as she was since all he was doing was watching them fight.

She hated that she had to ask for help but she knew better than letting her pride overtake her judgement.

She grips the dagger on her hand and takes a deep breath.

“Balthazar!” she shouts closing her eyes.

Everyone stayed silent looking confused at the princess.

Robert laughs “Did you lose your mind already?” he looks at the mercenaries “Finish her”

Before they could take a step closer to the woman, they hear a loud howl coming from the Somber Woods.

The mercenaries look shocked at the tall pines behind them.

Robert was disorientated and scared “What the—”

Before he could finish his sentence, a big shadow exits from the Somber Woods taking the man on its mouth and ripping it in two with a shake of its head.

The mercenaries watched with horror as a big, black wolf with red eyes that glowed on the dark approached them slowly while growling at them.

(Y/n) sighs with relief and looks at the big beast in front of her.

“Balthazar! Help me!”

Balthazar looks at the woman that was surrounded and then back at his preys, his fiery eyes showed anger and hostility.

“N-No…” one of the mercenaries starts speaking “P-Please spare us, your highness”

She takes a step back and turns her face to the side closing her eyes as the wolf jumps into the mercenaries killing them merciless.

When the screams quieted down, she hears something walking closer. She opens her eyes and sees Balthazar standing in front of her, she was a bit surprised that he was like… this.

Balthazar lowers his head to let the woman caress his head.

“Thank you, Bal”

He closes his eyes and nods, (Y/n) takes a step back and walks toward the upper half of her brother’s body, kneeling down in front of it. She takes his necklace and puts it inside of her bag.

The wolf next to her growls at the body. He hated that smell.

“I have to tell my father about this” she looks at the wolf and stands up “It looks like I have to walk my to the castle”

The wolf whines looking at the princess.

She giggles and pets his head “I’ll leave that for tomorrow, of course”

He lowers his head and gently nudges her with his nose.

“What?” she tilts her head.

He lays on the ground and looks at her.

“Do you want me to get on your back?”

He nods.

“O-Okay” she nervously gets on his back and holds his hair “Now, I’m not afraid of this b-but there’s no saddle here and—”

Balthazar slowly stands up and then starts running into the Somber Woods at full speed, he was doing it on purpose.

“Bal!” she holds him tighter and closes her eyes.

He was enjoying this.

As he runs towards the lake, he takes a little peek at the woman and sees how the wind runs on her hair and had a smile on her lips, he could feel how disturbed she was from the previous accident.

He stops in front of the lake and lowers his body to let her hop down.

She sits next to him and sighs “I knew that he would betray me one day but I never thought that he would try to kill me in such cowardly way” she rubs her arms, she was getting cold.

The wolf huffs and walks back into the woods.

“Bal?” she looks at the direction where the big wolf went.

Seconds later, Balthazar comes back with his cape on his mouth, he sits behind (Y/n) and drops the cape on her head.

She laughs and puts the cape over her shoulders “You are so sweet” she looks up at the wolf looking down at her.

Balthazar lays on the ground circling her and closes his eyes. (Y/n) smiles and lays her head over his and starts petting him.

She could see how pleased he was with her touch “You really are like a big puppy”

He opens one of his eye to look at her and growls lowly.

“Sorry... a big, angry puppy” she giggles

He rolls his eye and closes it again.

(Y/n) yawns while covering her whole body with the cape and closes her eyes.

She felt secure and comfortable standing by his side.