Ch.10: Witch Hunt.

Song: Familiar Taste Of Poison - Halestorm.

(Y/n) wakes up the next morning, she feels her whole body more relaxed than before.

She looks at the sleeping figure of Balthazar that was holding her closer to his chest, he was in his half-human, half-wolf form. She loved the warm feeling of his arms around her.

Slowly, she reaches her hand to his cheek and caresses the little scars on it. He looked so relaxed.

He opens his eyes and looks down at the small human on his arms.

“Hi” she mutters.

“Hi” his morning voice was slightly deeper than usual “How are you feeling?” he caresses her head.

“Good” she smiles and kisses his cheek.

He cups her cheeks and kiss her.
He loved the feeling of her soft lips on his. He could be like this forever. She breaks the kiss and then kisses his forehead.

“We should get going” she smiles.

He nods and stands up.

(Y/n) holds his hand and walks out of the cave.

Balthazar frowns, they were close to the Blue Lands, meaning that they were close to the sea. The salty smell on the air bothered his sensitive nose.

“Are you okay?” she looks up at him.

He nods “We are close to the sea, its smell bothers me a little”

“Oh” she stops “You can wait here if you want”

He shakes his head “I can handle it”

She smiles and nods “Okay” she keeps walking while holding his hand.

He looks down at her and sees a red and purple mark on her shoulder. He stops and gently pulls down her sleeve.

“B-Bal?” she blushes looking at him.

He notices the mark of his bite on her shoulder. He gently presses it and sees her whine.

“D-Does it hurts?” he was a bit worried.

“A-A little bit, but I can handle it” she smiles at him “Please don’t worry”

Balthazar leans down and gently kisses her shoulder repeatedly.

“Bal” she giggles and holds his shoulders “You are tickling me”

He smiles and kisses her cheek lifting her on his arms.

“I can walk, Bal” she smiles holding him.

“I don’t care” he walks into the path.

She laughs and shakes her head “You are a stubborn puppy”

He rolls his eyes “Stop it”

“Nope” she pinches his cheeks.

He glares at her “I said—!”

Before he finished his sentence, she holds his face and kisses him.

His eyes widen and when she breaks the kiss, he clears his throat.

“Y-You can continue”

She giggles and lays her head on his shoulder looking at him.

She loved seeing her lover.

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

After a couple of hours walking, they could hear clearly the sound of the waves crashing on the surface.

Balthazar stops his walk. Even when the salty air was messing with his nose, he could easily recognize that familiar smell.

He frowns…

It was the smell of death.

“Are you okay?”

He looks down at her with worried eyes.

“I…” he didn’t know how she would react but it’s not like he could hide it any longer.

“Balthazar?” she was worried now.

“I’m sorry… There’s no one waiting for you”

“W-What do you mean?” her voice was quivering.

Balthazar didn’t know how to sugarcoat it but he hadn’t other choice.

“They are dead, (Y/n)… I’m sorry”

Her eyes widens “How…?” she mutters.

“I can smell it” he closes his eyes “The blue blood similar to yours is spilled on the ground”

The princess was quiet for a second “C-Can you take me there?” she mutters.

Balthazar nods and starts walking.

He notices that the beating of her heart was speeding up and her hands were trembling.

She knew that his words were true and that he would never lie to her but she wished that he would be wrong.

He stands on the cliff and looks down at the beach and sees a crushed carriage.

(Y/n) sobs and covers her mouth, she recognized the carriage.

Balthazar sighs and jumps down to the beach. As soon as he touched the ground, (Y/n) gets off his hold and runs towards the carriage.

“FATHER, THOMAS” she tries to open the door but it was jammed “Balthazar, help me” she turns to look at the man behind her with glassy eyes.

He sighs and shakes his head “You don’t want to see what’s in there”

“I-I need to… m-maybe they are just hurt” her hands were quivering.

Balthazar looks at her and nods, he opens the door and sees the corpses inside of it.

(Y/n) looks at the carriage and cries out when she sees the lifeless bodies of her father and her little brother, among them there were also a couple of guards.

She enters the carriage and holds closer the body of Thomas as she sees the wound of an sword on the middle of his little chest.

Who would do something so cowardly?

(Y/n) sobs as she hugs closer the body of her brother.

Balthazar looks at her figure with pity. Maybe it was the salty smell mixed with death on the air or that his whole attention was on her but somehow, he missed the person standing on the hill, looking down at them with hatred and envy.

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

A couple of hours passed and the princess with the help of Balthazar managed to bury them.

Balthazar looks at her as a neutral expression was on her face.

“(Y/n)” he finally talks to her.

She sighs and leans towards him as he hugs her.

“It’s quite relieving, actually” she mutters “I mean, they didn’t deserve this and I wish nothing more to change the past to save them but… My whole life was based on satisfy my father and protect my brother and I failed in both” she looks down at her hands “I don’t understand how I could feel so miserable yet so free at the same time” she looks at the man holding her “I-I don’t want to become a queen, Balthazar. I want to live with you… for the rest of my life” she looks at the side “If you still want to”

His eyes widens at her words an his cheeks turned pink, he was feeling a little guilty that he was happy with the death of her father and brother. However, it didn’t matter now.

“Yes, (Y/n)” he hugs her closer to his chest “I want nothing more than that” he kisses her head.

She giggles and nods “Okay then” she caresses his cheek “I need to grab a couple of things from the castle and then I will live with you on The Somber Woods”

“Let’s hurry then” he lifts her up on his arms as she looks at the ground one last time.

“Okay”

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

After a couple of days, (Y/n) arrives at the door of the kingdom. She told Balthazar to wait for her on his wood, she quickly notices that there were many guards standing in front of it, as soon as they see the princess, they run towards her.

With a sigh, the princess looks at the guards.

“I’m fine, please do not worry”

However, when the guards gets closer to her, they raise their weapons to her.

“Come with us calmly and we may not kill you” one of them says.

“What the…?” she frowns “Do you have any idea with who are you talking?” she instinctively puts her hand on her sword.

“A traitor” a Raven Guard walks towards the group.

“Damian?” she tilts her head when she sees him “What are you talking about?”

“We were waiting for you” he then nods at one of the guards as they hit her head with the back of his sword.

The princess groans as she falls on the ground, the other guards grab her arms and start dragging her inside the kingdom.
Everyone looked at their direction as they started whispering. They seemed to be disgusted with the princess.

Once they enter to the castle, they throw her on the ground as she rubs the back of her head and looks up.

The queen was sitting on her throne as many other people was around the room, they were The Council of Auroral.

“Princess (Y/n) (S/n) Hightower the Seventh” the queen speaks “You are accused to commit traitorous acts against the crown. What do you have to say?”

“What?” the princess stands up holding her head “I don’t understand”

The queen smirks “Princess (Y/n), you killed your own brother in an act of jealousy and then you killed your own father and your little brother”

“I didn’t” she was taken back by the accusations.

“You didn’t kill your brother, Robert Alexander Hightower the Third?”

“I did, but only because he tried to kill me first” she defends herself and looks at the council “The Third contracted a group of mercenaries to kill me so he can claim the crown”

The queen frowns “Lies! You couldn’t kill him the way that he was killed”

The council starts whispering.

“What do you mean?” the princess asks.

“He was torn apart by the beast” the queen glares at the young princess “The same beast that attacked the castle days ago”

(Y/n) stayed silent looking down, she was right.

“Are you familiar with this beast?” the queen raises an eyebrow.

But before she could answer her, the queen chuckles.

“Of course you are familiar with the beast, one of our loyal Raven Knights saw you with the beast next to the dead bodies of the king and the prince”

Steps could be heard from the side of the queen and everybody turned to look at Damian standing next to her.

“It’s true” he nods “The Princess seemed closer to the beast, and when we were bringing her here, we notice a bite mark on her shoulder”

Everyone on the room look at the princess as she puts her hand on her shoulder.

“What’s your relationship with the beast?” the queen asks.

“I’m…” she didn’t have the words to respond her. However, she couldn’t let anyone look down at her, she was the princess, after all.

(Y/n) looks up at the queen and frowns “The men or women whose I decided to implicate with, it is not your business nor does define me. I am Princess (Y/n) (S/n) Hightower the Seventh, daughter of the King William Alistair the Seventh and Lady Regina Delilah the First. As the Seventh child of the Seventh child, I was promised the crown, my brother, the third tried to kill me cowardly with a large group of mercenaries so he can steal the crown. The man that you call a beast saved my life more than once…” she takes a deep breath “He is my lover”

They room burst into a loud chatter, everyone seemed to be scandalized by the princess words.

On the other hand, Damian was furious. On a act of rage, he shouts.

“Witch!”

The room went silent.

“The princess had an intercourse with a beast, she must be a witch!” he shouts angrily.

Everyone started to agree with the Raven Knight.

(Y/n) glares at her no longer friend “As I say before, the man that I decided to implicate with does not define me. I had an intercourse with him because I love him and I do not wish to be with a man that does not love me back” she looks at the queen as she looks down “Nor with a man that would betray me” she looks at Damian and then turns to look at the Council putting a hand over her chest “I’m still a princess, I want to do what is best for the kingdom, I gained the wisdom and determination from my father” she glares at the queen “The humbleness and gentleness from my mother… Calling me a witch is not fair and also extremely ignorant”

Everyone started talking about the princess behavior, some of them were agreeing with her and other were disgusted with her reaction.

“SILENCE!” the queen shouts and once everyone was silent, she started speaking again “Still. What do you have to say about the accusations of our knight?” she signals Damian “He says that he saw you killing the king and prince along the beast”

The princess glares at him “He is lying, I left this land with the intention of finding my father and brother and sadly I found them… but they were already dead”

The queen frowns “So it’s the word of a loyal knight against the word of a witch that admitted to commit bestiality”

“It’s the word of a princess… Not a witch”

The queen smirks “So how do you explain this?” she snaps her fingers and a guard appeared with a book… her medicine book… the one that was on a language that only the princess could understand thanks to her years of hard study “Do you know what it is?”

“That’s my medicine book, I tend to use it to heal people”

“Oh, really?” the queen passes the book so every person on the council could read it “Even why is it on an unknown language?”

“It is not unknown, just really old. If you study…”

“Shut up!” she frowns and looks at the people that was trying to read the book, everyone was confused and slowly, they started to agree with the queen.

“This must be a book of witchcraft”

“The princess was hiding this, it’s really suspicious”

“The language is indeed unknown”

The queen smirks and looks at the princess.

“I don’t need to prolong this any longer, Princess (Y/n) (S/n) Hightower the Seventh, since there aren’t proofs of your innocence… with a heavy heart I, the queen of Auroral, accuse you of witchcraft, the murder of the king and prince of Auroral and treason against the kingdom that you are obliged to protect” she stands up “You will spend the night on the dungeon and tomorrow we will announce your sentence on the public plaza… Guards!”

“Wait” the princess says “You can’t do that! You don’t have proofs against me either!” she looks at Damian as other guards were trying to drag her to the dungeon “Damian! Tell them the truth! Damian!”

A guard hits her on the head and the princess slowly losses her conscience.