Ch.2: Returning.

Song: Irresistible - Fall Out Boys ft. Demi Lovato.

The mas was way much taller than her, from what she could see he had long, dark brown hair tied on a low pony tail his skin was honey tanned and grey eyes. He was wearing a bear skin cape over his shoulders covering the rest of his body.

“Return that flower” he growls.

“No, I got it fairly”

The man was a little surprised with the firm tone of her voice, her eyes were fiery yet calm, she had a better battle pose than other knights that he killed on the past.

“Humans don’t know the meaning of the word fair, with your swords and shields destroying everything on their path” he takes a step closer to the woman hoping to intimidate her but it didn’t work.

“And you think it’s fair picking a fight with someone like me?” she raises an eyebrow.

The man chuckles “Come on, grab as many swords as you want and fight me”

“No… Even with a million swords or without any it’ll be unfair… for you, of course” the woman now has a mocking smirk on her lips.

The man stands still for a second and then laughs loudly startling the horse behind the woman.

“The blue blood always say the best jokes” the man smirks.

For the first time the woman seems to be taken by surprise but recovers her composure quickly “How do you know?”

“Oh, human. You can hide yourself with that little black hood of yours but your smell is unique” he frowns “And I hate it”

“I see” she puts her sword back on her hip “Then you’ll have no problem on letting me go”

“I don’t really care who you are, I’ll still skin you alive if you don’t return what you stole”

The woman hops on her horse “Then you are stupider than you look. As the future queen of Auroral I have to let everyone know about my whereabouts in case I disappear… if I don’t return or return harmed people of the kingdom will come and burn this wood down until nothing is left but ashes”

The man glares at the woman… her words made sense, the last thing he wanted was more filthy humans on this wood.

“And like I already said” the woman keeps talking “I paid my fee for this flower”

“It’s not enough! You can’t come in here and take whatever you want only leaving trash behind!” the man stands in front of the horse “I won’t let you destroy this land at your pleasure”

She sighs and look to the side “I’m sorry”

He was taken back by her words, it seems that this woman never stops surprising him.

“What did you say?”

“I’m sorry, but I need this flower” she looks directly at the eyes of the man “I gave up the most appreciated object I had in order to get this and I don’t have much time to act, so… once I’m done using this flower I will leave a seed so I can return and plant it back on the lake and after that you will never see me here again” she holds tightly the saddle “Because the other way to get this flower back is by ripping it off my dead body”

When he looked at her eyes he noted another feeling… something related to hopelessness and plead “…How do I know that you will keep your word?”

“Their word is the only thing that has true value on a man”

“You are no man”

“That’s why my word has more value”

He liked her attitude. Even when he could smell a little bit of panic inside of her, she didn't show any sign of fear nor terror.

“Still… I need something more than your word”

She sighs and takes her dagger out “I will return for this, don’t you dare to lose it” she throws the dagger at him and he grabs it on the air.

He looks at the dagger on his hands and nods “One more thing”

“What?”

“Your name…” he looks at her eyes.

“Princess (Y/n) (S/n) Hightower the Seventh… What about you?”

“Balthazar… just, Balthazar” he then takes a step to the side to let the woman pass.

She smiles and nods “Thanks… Balthazar” she holds tightly the saddle “HYA!”

Just like that, the horse started running away from the lake and the man. Balthazar looked at her as she leaves his sight, however, her scent was still fresh on his nose and on his mind. He would never forget the only human that managed to leave without any kind of wound…

He looks down at her dagger and feels the faint smell of blood on it. He wonders if she killed somebody with that dagger. He couldn’t wait to see her tomorrow.

(Y/n) hops down the horse and takes the saddle off him.

“Thank you Sable” she kisses his head “I’ll give you extra food tomorrow, I swear”

She then sneaks her way to the medic room where she could study or practice in peace. She takes a hidden book from the shelf and opens it. The reason why she could handle most illness was because she mixed alchemy with medicine, it was really risky and if messed up she could either die from intoxication or made a new illness. But it was easy for her, thanks to the book that she found on the castle many years ago, it was on an ancient language and it took her a couple of years to learn it and it was worth it.

She takes a deep breath and takes the flower out opening the book where she found a possible cure to her brother’s painful disease.

(Y/n) starts working as she thinks that any other woman with this knowledge would be treated as a witch and then burned alive. She was lucky to be a blue blood and more to have this ‘seventh child gift’

She didn’t sleep that night, once she finished she saves the seed on a handkerchief and grabs the little tube with the medicine she crafted.

She hides the book and quickly exits the room towards the kitchen where the servants were preparing breakfast.

“Good morning, my lady” the servants bow at the presence of the princess.

“Good morning” she smiles.

Everyone keeps working on the breakfast as the princess walks toward the old woman that was on charge of taking her little brother’s breakfast.

“Miss Luna”

The woman turns around to face the princess “Yes, my lady?”

“Would you mind if I take Thomas breakfast to his room today?”

“Of course not, my lady” she hands her the tray with the breakfast.

“Thank you, miss” she grabs the tray and exits the kitchen to go to Tommy’s room.

Once she arrives, she knocks the door a couple of times and enters closing the door behind her.

“Tommy” she mutters walking towards the sleeping boy.

The kid grumbles and hides his face on the pillow. He was sweating, and seemed to be having nightmares. She puts the tray on the side of his bed and puts her hand on his forehead. He was freezing, the disease was similar to a flu but it was killing him slowly. She shakes his shoulder a little as he yawns and looks at his sister.

“Hi” he mutters, his voice was lower than the night before.

“Hi” she smiles and hands his the warm cup with tea on it “Hold this”

The little boy holds the cup with his trembling hands and looks down at the tea.

The woman pours the medicine she made on the cup and looks at his brother’s eyes.

“You have to drink it all” she caresses his cheek.

Thomas nods and breaths heavily before chugging down the cup of tea. Once he finishes drinking it, he coughs and puts the cup on the tray.

“That tasted like Queen Tanisha’s soup” his face was filled with disgust.

She chuckles and nods “Yeah, and it smelled like butt”

Her brother laughs and yawns “I’m feeling a little tired”

“It’s normal” she pats his head “Sleep a little bit more, I’ll be here when you wake up”

He nods and lays his head on the pillows closing his eyes.

Tiredness was starting get her, deciding to rest a little, she lays her head on the bed and closes her eyes as well.

~

(Y/n) was walking on the black market but it was empty which was… odd, the fog was dense and the only thing she could see was the door of the old lady’s shop. Intrigued, she enters the shop only to see an empty white space with only a table and two chairs. She turns around and notices that the door disappeared.

“Oh, little princess I see that your quest was a success”

The woman turns around to see the old lady sitting on one chair and signaling the chair in front of her…

Slowly she walks to the table and sits on the chair in front of the old lady.

“It was” she nods.

“However, you are not safe” the old lady looks at the woman in front of her with pity “You’ve awakened The Wolf’s crave”

“The Wolf?” she tilts her head “You mean the man that I encountered on the lake? He is harmless as long as I keep my promise”

“He isn’t harmless, darling. He is heartless… please, follow my warning and avoid yourself the mourning”

“What warning?”

“DO NOT GO TO THE DARK WOOD TONIGHT OR YOU WILL CONDEMN US ALL”

~

Sitting up abruptly she looks around and sees that she’s still on Tommy’s room. He was sleeping calmly. She puts her hands on his forehead and notices that his temperature was better than before.

“Thank God” she sighs and hears a knock on the door.

She looks at the door as it opens revealing the Queen and the King standing in there.

“See? Luna wasn’t lying, she was here” the King talks to the woman standing next to him.

The woman frowns and enters the room making the princess stand up and bow to them.

“We eat breakfast on the living room like a family” Tanisha says crossing her arms.

“Thomas is part of my family and I would like to discuss this outside since he is resting” she looks at her father.

“Tanisha…”

“No! I won’t take this kind of disrespect from you anymore, young lady”

“You are free to leave, then” she smiles at the Queen.

“(Y/n)” his father frown.

“I’m sorry, father” she looks down.

“(Y/n)?” a voice from behind the princess speaks up “What’s happening?”

They face the little boy sitting up on his bed and rubbing his eyes.

“Tommy!” (Y/n) smiles and runs next to him “How are you feeling?”

“Much better” he hugs her “Thank you”

She hugs him back and pats his head “Everything for you”

“How?” the Queen approaches them.

“Well, it’s not strange coming for the seventh child” the King says proudly.

“You escaped again, haven’t you?” she glares at the princess and prince “How else did you get what you needed?”

“She asked me to get it, your highness” a guard speaks up from the door.

“Young Damian” the King greets.

“My lord” he kneels down “I’m sorry to interrupt but I was hearing the conversation while I was looking for the princess”

“It’s okay, Damian” the King nods “You can stand up”

The guard stands up and looks at the princess.

The King looks at both of them and smirks “Okay then, (Y/n). Why don’t you have a word with Damian as we both speak with Thomas?”

The princess frowns, this was one of his attempts to get her engaged since the only ones who could get married with the princess were a royalty or a Raven Knight. However, she couldn’t decline her father request.

“Yes, father” she stands up and bows before leaving the room.

(Y/n) walks on the hall leaving the guard behind.

“(Y/n), wait” he walks fast next to the woman “I’m sorry… I didn’t even tried to molest her”

“I hadn’t eat in two days, I’m really hungry” she ignores him.

“(Y/n), please”

“I wonder if Luna made chocolate cake”

“(Y/n)… we used to be best friends”

The woman stops and sighs looking at the ginger headed man, his green eyes were filled with regret.

“You know that you are the only reason that I joined The Raven Knights” he holds her hands “I don’t care about the power, the influence or the gold, so please… I know I should have stop them and I’m sorry for not doing that”

“…” she looks at the side and sighs “…Thanks for covering me back there with the Queen.”

Damian smiles “No problem, my fair lady”

She laughs and rolls her eyes “Don’t ruin it”

He chuckles and offers her his arm “Now, if you allow me to take you to the living room I can ask Luna to serve you chocolate cake”

She smiles and holds his arm “Lead the way, please”

The day passed really quickly, Thomas health was much better but he wasn’t used to walk yet, so he spend the day on his room recovering a little. Damian left after spending a couple of hours with (Y/n) since he received a mission.

(Y/n) was sneaking back again with Sable as she has to keep her word, she remembered the weird dream she had but she couldn’t betray Balthazar’s trust, not after he let her go without a fight. Besides... it was just a dream, right?

From the distance, she could see the man sitting down on the same spot she saw him last time, as if he didn’t move since she left. When the man sees her, his eyes showed a strange glint on them.

She was back just like she promised… and something deep inside of him was leaping with joy.