Ch.3: A beast.

Song: Wine Red - The Hush Sound.

“You came” Balthazar watches as the woman hops down her horse.

“I did” the woman approaches the sitting male.

He hands her the dagger and she takes it inspecting it.

“Now…” he signals the lake.

“I know” she takes her hood off.

The man keeps his eyes on her body, he wanted to see her naked again and maybe if he asked nicely, she would let him feel her porcelain-like skin.

“Excuse me” she clears her throat.
His eyes leaves her body to look at her eyes.

“Yes?”

“Leave” she crosses her arms.

Balthazar frowns “Why?”

“Because I want to get into the lake”

“Then do it”

“I can’t if you are watching me get undressed”

He tilts his head “Is there a problem with that?”

“Yes, it is. It makes me uncomfortable”

He sighs “You humans are really complicated” he stands up “I’ll undress myself as well so you won’t feel uncomfortable” he lets his cape fall from his shoulders revealing his well toned chest with many scars around. He was only wearing a loincloth and leather boots.

“No!” she covers her face and turns around “I-It’s not like that”

The man was getting impatient “Then how is it?”

“Look” she turns to look at him “It’s inappropriate… So please, leave or just... turn around”

The man looks at her for a second, he could smell something related to shame and a little bit of eagerness, however, he sits down back again on his spot.

“Very well” he puts his cape back on and turns his back towards her.

She smiles “Thanks” she starts undressing herself leaving her clothes to the side and enters the lake swimming to the bottom where she took the flower and buries the little seed back on the earth.

After she finishes planting the little seed, she swims back to the surface. Taking a deep breath, she sees Balthazar on the same position he was when she left.

Smiling, she swims to the edge of the lake and grabs the hood to dry herself.

“Are you finished?” Balthazar was feeling a little anxious, he really wanted to see her naked again but he respected her wishes.

“Just one more minute” she puts her dress back on “Ready”

He turns to look at her, there was something inside of him that made him feel attracted towards her.

The woman walks in front of the man, for the first time she had a better look of him.

“Thank you, Balthazar” the woman leans down and kisses his cheek.

His eyes widen for a second as he loses his words for a second. He watches as she takes a step back and walks towards the horse.

“W-Wait!” he then groans, fucking stutter.

“Yes?” she turns around to face him.
Balthazar stands up and walks towards the woman.

“Why is this thing so important that the lake accepted it?” he then raises his hand showing her bracelet.

She looks at the object with wide eyes and sighs.

“It was my mother’s bracelet” she rubs her arms and looks at the side “My mother was my father mistress, she died days after she gave birth to my little brother… My father was dealing with problems on other kingdom so he wasn’t when she died” she frowns “So the queen took advantage of that and said that my mother died from a contagious illness and then ordered that everything related to her, will be burned… They burned everything… even the paintings of her… I could only save that bracelet”

Balthazar could see the pain on her eyes mixed with rage, it was clear that she didn’t like the queen and that she treasured the bracelet.

“Why did you give this up if it is so important to you?”

“My little brother” she looks at his eyes “He is only eight years old and I love him more than anything on this world… He was dying and I needed the flower” she looks down "And in order to get it..."

He nods and looks down at the bracelet. He didn’t really understand what she said. He was alone all his life, he was surprised that this woman came to the most dangerous side of the woods, gave up something precious to her, confronted him and get away with it, just for a child.

He looks at her and notices that she was looking down, he could feel the distress coming from her. Slowly, he places a hand on her head patting it gently.

She looks up to see the man standing in front of her.

“Don’t be sad, it’s stressing me out”

(Y/n) blinks a couple of times and then giggles.

“I apologize” even when she was smiling, she couldn’t help but let some stray tears fall down from her eyes “I don’t have anybody back on the castle that I can talk this problems with and I can’t be seen crying around, you know?”

He sighs and shakes his head “Humans are really complicated” he then lowers his hand to cup her cheek and clean her tears. Just like he thought, her skin felt smooth and suave on his rough hand.

He hands her the bracelet “Here, stop being sad”

She takes the bracelet and leans on the man’s touch, even though his claws were pressing her skin, she felt secure “I can never thank you enough, Bal”

He stands in shock for a second as his cheeks were slowly turning red. How dare she give him some kind of pet name and make him feel good about it?

Why there was so many mixed feelings on his chest?

Just… How?

The woman takes his hand off her cheek “I have to leave”

He wakes up from his trance and looks at her eyes.

He didn’t want her to leave, but he didn’t know how to make her stay either. They had a deal after all.

“You don’t have to never come back”

She tilts her head “I’m sorry, what?”

Balthazar clears his throat “You said that after returning the seed you will never come back”

“Oh” she nods.

“You can come back” he leans down with a glare on his eyes and showing his sharp fangs “But only you”

“And Sable?” she signals the horse behind her.

He rolls his eyes “And Sable…”

She laughs at the tone of his voice and nods “Okay, if you insist so much then we will return tomorrow”

He feels how the distress from earlier was leaving her body and he was satisfied with that.

“Yeah, yeah” he pushes her gently towards the horse “You can leave now” he was more relieved knowing that she will return.

She smiles and hops on the horse “See you tomorrow, Bal”

He just looks at her and waves his hand.

“HYA!” the horse starts running away to the castle.

Once again, Balthazar watches as the human leaves his woods again… For the first time on his life he was eager to know more about the humans. Especially this one.

~

The next morning (Y/n) wakes up for a constant knock on her door.

“Come in” she mumbles and covers her head with the sheets closing her eyes again.

“(Y/n)! Wake up!” a childish voice says as he runs to her bed climbing it and jumping on it.

Even when she couldn’t see him, she knew that her little brother was the one interrupting her dream. Smiling with her eyes closed “I’m awake” she mutters.

“No! Like… Get up!”

“Tommy” she groans and pulls the blanket off her face to look at his brother “Not even the servants had waken up”

“I know! I was on bed for so long and now we have so much time to recover so I thought that maybe we could start early”

She yawns and sits up. Goodbye eight hours sleep “Alright, wait for me downstairs”

“Yes!” he jumps down and exits her room closing the door behind him.

Getting up, she starts dressing up. Normally, she would wait for a servant to dress her and comb her hair but she wasn’t really a fan of that.

She sees the bracelet on her hand and smiles at the memory of the strange man that showed her sympathy last night.

Hearing a knock on the door, she starts combing her hair.

“Wait a second”

Opening the door there was a young man with blonde hair, he was the mirror of the queen, her third son. Robert Alexander Hightower the Third.

“Good morning, little sister”

She glares at the man on the door and grabs the dagger from her nightstand.

“Calm down, your highness” he bows mocking her.

“What do you want?” she holds the dagger closer to her.

“The crown, of course” he tries to take a step inside of her room.

“Don’t you dare”

He chuckles and stops himself “Why so aggressive?”

“Because I know you” she walks in front of him “Move”

“Or what?”

“You know what happens” she looks at his shoulder where he had a scar from an old stab.

Robert frowns and moves away from her door.

(Y/n) exits her room closing the door behind her “Good day, Robert” she walks away from the angry prince directly to the living room where her little brother was waiting for her.

When Thomas sees her he smiles widely and runs closer to her.

“Ready? I want to bake a cake”

Her sister nods and grabs his hand “Let’s go, then”

They spent the morning together, from cooking to gardening. Once they were on the garden, she was kneeling down in front of the flowers as her brother panted another seed. Suddenly, a scream could be heard from the other side if the castle.

“Princess, get the princess!”

(Y/n) quickly stands up and holds her brother closer to her as two guards come running towards them.

“My lady, young prince” they bow “There’s an emergency and we need your healing abilities”

She looks at her little brother and nods “Okay” she looks at the female guard “Stay with my brother” she looks at the other guard “Take me to the emergency”

“Yes, my lady” he starts walking to the castle with the princess behind him.

After they enter the castle, they walk into to the medic room where they see Damian breathing heavily on one of the beds.

“What happened?” the princess hurries next to Damian and sees a big cut on his chest. It was bleeding.

“H-He took the hit for me” another knight that seemed nervous speaks “W-We were on The Somber Woods when a beast attacked us”

She rolls her sleeves up and wash her hands and dries them on a cloth... She wasn't paying attention of what the knight said.

“A beast?” the guard asks.

“Y-Yes!” he starts shaking “He was big and he moved too fast” he then sobs “That thing killed the whole platoon”

She grabs a little bottle and opens Damian’s mouth pouring its content inside of it.

“What’s that?” the knight looks at her.

“Poppy Papaver” she then starts cleaning the wound “It’s a somniferous”
Damian starts relaxing after a couple of seconds.

“B-But that’s a bad thing, no?” he walks closer to the princess but the other guard stops him “He shouldn’t close his eyes, he might die”

“Our princess knows what she’s doing” the other guard speaks glaring at the man.

“You have a point, but it’s also possible to die from the pain and what I’m going to do it’s going to be really painful that not even the Poppy would keep him from feeling it” she then grabs a bottle with alcohol on it and pours it on the wound, even when he was sleeping, he clenched his hand.

“B-But—!”

“Enough” she looks at the guard that came with her “Take him out of here”

“Yes, my lady” he grabs the exalted knight and exits the room.

Sighing, she looks down at her childhood friend and starts attending his wound.

Hours after (Y/n) finished patching him up, she was cleaning her hands when she hears a voice next to her.

“(Y/n)” he mutters with his eyes closed.

“I’m here” she sits next to him.

He opens his eyes and looks at her “How bad does it look?”

“Horrible”

He grunts “Yes, I can feel it”

“You should get more sleep, I just finished bandaging you up” she stands up.

He grabs her hand “C-Can you stay in here until I fell sleep?” he looks at her eyes.

She nods “Okay” she sits back again “Do you want something to help you sleep?”

“No” he doesn’t take his eyes off her. Even when he couldn’t shake away the guilt on his chest from the death of his platoon, he finds her beauty calming him somehow, he wanted to keep her on his side as long as he could “Marry me” he mutters.

She chuckles and shakes her head “It seems that the Poopy it’s still affecting you”

“No, for real. Marry me” he keeps holding her hand.

“Damian” she sighs “I don’t think that it’s appropriated to talk about it right now”

“But you will think about it, right?”

She looks at the window to avoid his eyes “When I will marry someone on the future I will choose you. I don’t like the others knights nor princes that I’ve met”

His eyes sparks with happiness and he places a kiss on her hand “I love you”

She looks at his eyes and caresses his head “Come on, sleep”

He smiles at her “Okay” he lets a deep breath out and closes his eyes.

It took a couple of minutes until he was finally sleep. Standing up, she walks out of the room and walks towards her room. She has to go to The Somber Woods and ask Balthazar about a beast.

~

Arriving to the lake, she hops down of her horse and looks around hoping to see her friend but no one was around.

“Balthazar?” she walks around the lake.

Suddenly something pounces on her pinning her down on the ground, he puts a hand on her throat gripping it a little.

Looking up, she sees the familiar face of her friend Balthazar, with the exception that his eyes were bright yellow and he had a pair of wolf ears on his head.

What was happening?