Chapter 67 Informants

Start from the beginning

The most difficult part would be getting involved with the daily rule of Salvire. He was sure his father would keep a close watch on him and he wasn't even sure what to look for.

King Darius had sent an escort of soldiers with him. The men would not stop at Salvire, but instead ride on to the border to relieve their comrades.

Mikos dreaded seeing his father again.

When the gates of Salvire came within view, his escort bid him farewell and split off from him to follow their orders. Mikos took a deep breath and urged his horse home.

The welcome he received was very different from what he had experienced in either Auros or Tirzé. Here, no one greeted him, except for the stable hand that took his horse from him. Once Mikos had stepped over the threshold, a servant bowed to him. "My lord, welcome back. I will inform lord Izem of your return." He preceded Mikos to an antechamber where lord Izem was leaned over some documents on a table. He looked up annoyed and scowled.

"The prodigal son returns. Have you had your fill of court life? I had half expected you to stay there and become the court jester."

Mikos didn't reply to the comment, but made a bow. "I bring greetings from king Marcos Aurelios, and his son, crown prince Cyrus Aurelios. They told me to convey their gratitude for sending aid when Boncini was in need. They sent horses as a token of appreciation. Did they arrive well?"

"They did," Izem said stiffly, "at least you got something out of it. Now, tell me, how did Boncini fail to protect the border? How will they make up for it? Salvire was at risk. It might still be. What will king Darius do about it?"

Mikos sighed. It seemed his father would never change, always blaming others, always pointing fingers. It wasn't Boncini's fault. They had done nothing wrong. It was his father that had refused to help allies. Mikos hated the idea that his father might even be involved. "He's sent extra men," Mikos answered, "father, Boncini suffered a great loss. We should show compassion."

Izem snorted. "Compassion," he scoffed, "compassion is the downfall of kings. You're growing weak. We have no time for compassion. We need to strengthen our position. Come here. I've received an offer of truce."

With dread, Mikos approached the table. A letter was there, written in broken dialect, but with clear intent. Balor had made an offer of truce, not for the whole of Tirèze, but for Salvire alone. Salvire was placed close to the border of three nations: Zeir, Balor and Lavos. It had a valuable position that could prove to be very fruitful.

Mikos didn't want to read on, but couldn't stop himself. The words edged themselves in his brain. This. This was what the king had warned him about. The proof was right here. "You cannot be serious, father."

"It is worth considering," Izem said indifferent, "we need to think about the future of Salvire. We are close to the border. We need to choose our battles wisely. What happened to Boncini in Zeir was a perfect example. They are as close to the border as we are. That is why I warned you not to go. Salvire could well be next."

Mikos shook his head. "If that were to happen, Boncini would come to our aid as well. We can't give in to the enemy."

Izem snorted a laugh. "Anyone can become an enemy at any time. Zeir and Tirèze used to be enemies in my great-grandfather's days. No, boy, you lack insight. We need to look beyond this war. Boncini was only the beginning."

A chill ran down Mikos' spine. His father was insane. There was no other explanation. But he needed to win back his father's favor in order to find out the truth. He took a deep breath. "Then tell me what to do." He needed to learn more about his father's plans. And then he could warn his king.