Part 54

Hailey POV*

It's Wednesday. "Hey buddy it's time to wake up" I say to Ry as I lift him out of bed. I comb his hair and brush his teeth after he eats breakfast. When Jay gets out the shower I let him pack Ry's backpack while I get ready for work. I put on a black long sleeve shirt and dark blue jeans. Once we drop Ry off at preschool  we head to work. We get to work and walk up to the bull pen where everyone is. "Hey we got a case, tender age abduction last night" Voight says as soon as me and Jay get back from the lockeroom. Voight and Kevin canvas the area, Adam and Kim check pod footage at the district, while Jay and I go talk to the parents at the hospital . We walk into the ED and walk straight to the nurses station. "Hey Maggie were here to see the Stetsons, what room are they in?" Jay asks. "she points to the room and then she walks to another room to see a patient.

"Hello Mr. & Mrs. Stetson I'm Detective Upton and this is my partner Detective Halstead do you mind if we speck to you guys separately." I say as they look at each other before her husband nods. I walk with Mrs. Stetson to the doctors lounge. " Ma'am do you know of anyone who would want to hurt lily" I say. "Do you have kids" she asks. "Yeah a son he's three" I say trying to speed along the conversation. "Then you know that as a mother you always want to keep you child safe but I could keep her safe. She was mad at yesterday, Lily said she hated me. After the divorce and now her dad is moving to Washington" she says. "Mr. Stetson is not Lily's father" I say. " No Mike is her step dad her fathers name is Bill Carter" she says as I write that down. "Do you think he did it" she asks me. "I don't know ma'am" I say. "Can you tell me what happen last night" I say. "Me and Mike were sleeping when I heard a noise outside I thought it was the neighbors cat again. I walk to the window to check and there was not cat so I woke up Mike to go check outside. I waited up stairs while he went down stairs. When he open the door I heard a thud sound so I walked down stairs and M-Mike was on the floor bleeding from his head. I went upstairs to grab a my phone to call 9-1-1 and Lily's door was open. I checked the whole house s-she wasn't there" she say as tears run down her face. "Thank for your time Mrs. Stetson." I say leaving the room to give her space.

"Did you find anything out from the step dad" I say to Jay as he walks out of the hospital room. "Just that her ex came by yesterday to say that he was moving and that he want to bring Lily with him. Stetson said Bill was mad when she threatened to file for full custody of Lily" Jay says. "I guess we know our first suspect" I say walking out of the hospital with Jay. When we get back to the car we update Voight. Then I call Kim and Adam. "Hailey you got an update" said Kim.  "Yeah I need the address of Bill Carter and send it to Voight and Kevin, they are going to meet us there." I say. "Okay sent it, bye." Kim says before hanging up the phone.

When we get to the scene Jay and I get a text from Kev that says their three minutes out. So we wait for them to get there. When they get there Voight and I take the front while Jay and Kev take the back. "Chicago PD Bill Carter open up" Voight says before we are hit with gunshots. Voight and I hit the ground and take cover when we hear the gunshots. "5021 Henry shots fired at last know location requesting additional units and a ambo on stand by" I say into the radio. "5021 Henry be advised request enroute" I hear the radio say as I fire off two shots. Then I hear the words, "Offender down" Once me and Voight hear those word we enter the house, Kevin and I go upstairs and Voight and jay sweep the downstairs.

I take one side of the house and Kev takes the other. I sweep the master bedroom and bathroom for the girl, then I go to the pink room. I take a step in and se a shadow in the closet. I walk over and see a little girl, maybe six or seven years-old in there still with her PJ's on. "Hey its okay now you can come out" I say with a soft voice, but she still stay where she is. "Um okay I'm Hailey and this is Kevin" I say turning to point toward Kevin who is standing behind me. "We just want to take you to your mom she really misses you" I say. "but I told her that I-I hated her" the little girl says while sobbing. " I have a son Ryder right now he doesn't know what the word hate mean but if we had an argument and he said that he hated he, I would still love him because he's my son and nothing's going to change that." say reaching out my hand for her to take. She grabs my hand and we walk down the stairs together after Kevin makes sure that she can't see her dads dead body. 

When we get outside I hand Lily off to Kev, he takes her to the ambulances to get checked out. I walk over to Jay and give him a hug. " I really needed this hug" I say. "Okay" he says as we walk to the car from the scene. " Hey its time to get Ry and Kev ask me if I could get Vanessa at 5 if the family of Lily Carter isn't at the hospital in time" I say while driving to the Windy City Preschool to pick Ry. We get to the preschool and we walk through the walk way to the door.   "Mommy" I hear as Ry lets go of his teachers hand to give me a big hugs. "Hi bub how was your day" Jay says as I stand up from the hug. Me and Jay take his hand as we leave the school. We get back to the station and Kev is there so I won't need to get Vanessa from work. I sit down and start my paperwork. We end up staying till six because Jay got distracted listening to Adam talk about something. We get home and I give Ry a bath while Jay cooks dinner. We sit down and talk at dinner before we all turn for some sleep.

Hope y'all like this chapter. Thanks for the vote, they really motivate me to write more.

-Cici