43. Hanging feelings

Start from the beginning

He nodded eagerly and settled beside her. Soon they began chatting, not able to take their eyes off each other.

It was love at first sight, I sighed, feeling happy for them. Only a few are lucky to experience it.

A breeze blew by, causing the tiny flowers of the tree to fall on my lap. I picked one of them, wrapping my thick woollen shawl tighter around me. The Sun was faintly visible and provided little warmth at the cold breezes.

I took a moment to stare at the temple of Ishtar.
Knowing the truth of the ritual and how couples managed it was something that twenty-first-century historians didn't know about.

The jolly faces of the people told that this place wasn't that bad. It seemed more like an ancient matchmaking centre.

Outside the temple where they distributed the offerings, Julian stood with his back faced toward me. A similar man talked to him, elbowing him now and then with a grin. He had bronze-coloured hair and almost the same height as Julian. I recalled him to be the warrior Jakov.

Feeling my gaze, he gave me a small smile, and I smiled back. When he turned to face Julian, he burst in laughter.

My cheeks warmed up. I hope Julian wasn't sharing any sensitive information with him.

Having no other work, I decided to concentrate on the flower in my hand.
"Happy ending, sad ending..." Like silly, I plucked its petals one by one, mumbling to myself. The last petal broke at sad ending.
I sighed and tossed the stalk aside.

"Here," A leaf bowl came into view, held by Julian as he sat beside me.
Thanking him, I took it carefully, and we ate in silence.

The offering was a rich sweet cream with fruits I never knew about, sprinkled in pieces over it. The cream melted in my mouth as the tangy flavour of the fruit burst on my tongue.

"I came here for this," he raised the offering, "It was a coincidence I spotted you."

Was he clarifying that he wasn't here for the ritual? I smiled to myself.
"You could order this to make in your palace?" I suggested.

"That's the problem," he muttered, "They keep the recipe a secret."

After finishing, he stood up to stretch his arms, the warm cloak shielding him from the cold.

"Have you visited Babylonia before?" he asked, looking to his left at the muddy but smooth path that went on as far as our sight took in.

"No," I replied. I spotted Thalia and Cicero sneaking behind the temple.

"There's a place you'd like to know then," he glanced back, "Want to come?"

My cheeks flushed for no particular reason. There was something different in the way he looked at me or the way he looked in general?

Did he become more attractive over the night?

"Althea?" he clicked his fingers, snapping me out of my daze of staring him openly. He tilted his head, probably wondering what was wrong with me.

My heart was pounding by his mere gaze. His actions were nothing new, but why was I feeling so hot and bothered now?

"Uh, I- was thinking... which place you were talking about," I tried to say with a straight face, "Can I bring my book then? I will come back quickly," I gave an uneasy smile.

He said nothing, just nodded. His expression held a sense of curiosity as he watched me go.

Reaching my room back in the lodging, I heaved for breath. Not that I'd run all the way, but my heart was beating because of some... other reasons.