17. Favourite of the great

"I announce that the final selection of concubines has officially started. His majesty Alexander of Macedon will grace us through his presence shortly!"

All the women and men were done pleasing each other. It was decided to be a no strings attached exercise, and now the men's satisfaction levels had to pass the women to the final round.

"That's not fair! Why would they decide? We did our best," a woman whispered to another and everyone scowled at the unjust rule.

But Cheryl could not care less about any rules. She had pledged to write a detailed analysis of Alexander's life and would do anything to be close to him.

Being his concubine was the grandest idea.

She tried to look at Stratos as lovingly as possible but he only had the I-can't-love-you-when-I'm-sober look. A messenger constantly pestered him from the back.

He glanced at Cheryl, annoyed, blinking and squinting his eyes, where he had seen her.

But he couldn't remember. All hail to his blindfolded love for princess Ira.

"My Lord, Fartaxerxes has accepted the challenge. Here is the letter. You shouldn't wait any longer in this Concubines Association," the messenger muttered, handing him the piece of paper. Stratos was elated.

"Concubine Lola has my approval," he informed the head of the association and left, without sparing another look at his roommate.

"Fuck you," Cheryl grumbled, twisting her lips in distaste. How very mean of him to not even pass a friendly glance at her side.
But that's alright, she thought. She just needed him to be passed in the final round.

***

"Take your pick," Alexander's words surprised Master invader.

"Damn man, they put all this up for your honour and you are asking me first?" he waved a hand towards the gorgeous women lined in horizontal lines of four.

"Not without you, Julian," Alexander slapped his shoulder casually, "No one, not even you, acknowledges the fact this annexation was impossible without you. So, go first."

Julian grinned at his friend's openness. His eyes searched for a particular type of woman, but she wasn't here.

In fact, she didn't exist. Someone like that blue-eyed fantasy.

"I've got one back in the camps. So I won't need anyone for now," he informed, crossing his arms against his chest.

"One?" Alexander was surprised.

The Greek warlord laughed, "I would like to concentrate my sole focus on her this time," his voice turning darker at the end.

"Then I'll pray for her soul," Alexander closed his eyes in prayer, dramatically.

"Think whatever you want,'' He snickered. "carry on with your selection. I have some scores to settle with that fierce cub."

He marched to the woman with exotic eyes, her black braid resting elegantly on one side of her shoulder. She was petting a cub in her lap while her warrior general fiancée Jakov sat across, worried out of his life.

"What has happened Helaine, love?" he asked anxiously. "What were you thinking when you told your name to the eastern general of Persia?!"

"Oh baby, I wouldn't mind being kidnapped by the enemy. They seem cool and fun, you know," she giggled at his troubled face. It was in her nature to play around him and, being a spy, she was excellent at her work.

Alexander's calculative eyes wandered over the females who stood in front of him. He had sensed something was wrong with a few of them.

"Jakov!" the warrior general stood abruptly at the commanding voice of the Macedonian general.

"Have all these women willingly gathered here?" he asked. It was only he who had noticed the whimpers of some women.

"I... don't think so," Jakov drawled out, scratching the back of his head. How the heck would he know when he was always after his fiancée?

"I apologise to all those women who have been forced to go through this. It is and never will be my intention to take an unwilling woman," he turned to face Jakov.

"I want the non-consensual women to be returned to their homes with full respect. And make sure no one threatens or humiliates them afterwards."

"As you wish to," Jakov bowed. The women who were forcibly put in the association were now taken out.

Julian Romanowski walked to the far corner of the room, towards the screened window where Helaine sat. He leaned back on the pillar across from her and narrowed his eyes.

"What was with you waving me off the other day?"

She was shocked, but chose to play ignorant.

"I'm not fond of men capturing innocent females through their disgusting manly powers." She glared at his mocking expression and continued to pet her cubs.

"Girls are innocent. I know fierce cub," he replied, using her nickname,
"but woman are not. I only deal with women, so what's got you bothered?

"By the way, does Jakov know about your secret admiration of Alex?" he smirked.

Now Helaine was red-faced. "That was years ago!" She growled, jerking her face aside. "What do I have to do?" she asked with a sullen face.

"Nothing that you would regret."

They walked out of the association, into the blinding sunlight. The cubs walked on either side of the exotic lady, growling every time master invader sneered at their little bravery.

"Don't play fool, Julian. You don't know what my babies are capable of when they grow up," she smiled down at cub Lola.

"All they are capable of is to make you lioness tamer from fierce cub, anyway there's your target," he pointed to the first camp where Damascus sat chatting away.

"He was being very manly with one of your precious little girls," he chuckled.

Fury rose high in Helaine. She stomped her way to the camp like the fearless woman she was.

"Hey, man, look at that. Isn't she the warrior general's woman?" one asked, eyeing her.

"Man, I've heard she fought side to side with Jakov in the war, though no one could guess because of the military attire that covered her."

"She is simply hot." Damascus leered.

Everyone continued to amaze themselves by her sight as she walked inside.

But the camp instantly silenced when a tight slap landed on Damascus' face.

After the clearing, only true seductresses were left behind who were hellbent to lure Alexander just by standing. The Macedonian warrior walked around them, inspecting and judging.

He didn't want anyone too clingy or docile-pocile that would distract him from his original goal of expanding his territory.

Stopping before a particular woman, he assessed her and was pleased she wasn't playing hard to get his attention. She just stood there, head bowed like a dutiful woman.

He lifted her chin and stared at the beetroot mixed honey lip gloss she wore. Eyes boring in her surprised ones.

"I choose her," he declared. His face twitching to break out in a grin, but he held himself.

The head of the association announced, "Concubine Lola is chosen as the Favourite of the Great!"