55. Baby it's just me and you

Althea

I wasn't scared.

I was willing it out of myself to feel anything. Fearful, nervous. But my heart wasn't ready to beat as ferociously as it should.

Strangely, everything felt tranquil.

I closed the door to my room and rested the back of my head against it, looking at the desolate hallway to his room, bathed in the golden light of fire torches.

This feeling was growing heavier. If only I really was a court writer. But born in this century...

I trudged ahead, moving my palm on the cool marble of the hallway's slab. The sky above was strewn together with stars, so many that they looked like stardust sprinkled in the night sky.

Soft winds skimmed past me when I stood in front of his room. No guards were stationed because everyone was rejoicing in the celebration.

When I couldn't hear anyone, I curled in my fingers to knock once, my heart calm like never before.

Two and three knocks, but nothing happened. Upon calling out several times, but to no avail, I gripped the thick iron rings and pushed open the doors.

His room was a flood of darkness and moonlight blending in.

Long translucent curtains of the large window blew inward, warm-cool winds keeping their motion alive.

Holding the sides of my heavy skirt, I stepped in, overwhelmed by the lack of burning fire torches, darkness on either side of me.

"My Lord..." I called out, a nervous inkling to my voice, not for him, but the unfriendly darkness, "I can be... easily spooked so, please don't jump out of the corner if..." I stifled a laugh. I sounded lame. That's not how one talked to a king, "Can you hear me, my Lord?" I repeated.

Nothing could be heard. I moved forward, finding solace in the silvery gust of light in the darkness. Then there was the door to the bath which upon contemplating, I knocked.

"My Lord..." my voice died down in a gulp. No. I wasn't imagining him taking a bath.

"My Lord, please answer me if you are here..." I didn't know what was making me this confident, when in fact, I was here for...

I was here for...?

I exhaled, a smile threatening to come on my lips. It was a mild feeling of awaited anticipation.

For the first time, I wasn't dreading his arrival.

I ambled to the window, curtains brushing past my cheeks like his lips.

His kingdom ahead was breathtaking. Houses looked like fireflies gleaming in the night, still and serene. The gazillion stars in the obsidian sky, looking down at them.

Such a peaceful place without honking vehicles, or mad party songs thronging the night, as it did in my world.

When I spotted the contours of his circular balcony, I retreated from the window to open the balcony gates, taking in a deep breath of the moon cool winds.

There were potted plants on either side, this place being less gloomy than the room. I had always wanted to come here, but too hesitant to ask him. My bare feet took in the warm sandstone floor as I stretched my arms sideways on the handrail to look up. A thing I'd caught him doing often when I would come for the recitations.

It was a full moon today, so round and bright. Brighter than what it looked from the skies of my century.

Another wave of wind blew past; the spring winds. Warm and sweet. Filled with the fresh smell of mud, leaves, coolness and something heavenly.